SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solved problem with light patch

The image below is one of a set taken last night. The early short exposure subs for framing didn't show the red patches. I'd left the camera running with an intervalometer recording 30 sec sub frames while I sorted out the OSC camera in the obs.

Little horrified when I looked at the results. So I've been playing with the various switches on the lens and found that the patches only show when the 'VR' switch is active. To me that means that vNikon use a light source to dsetect the motion/vibration within the lens to activate the VR controls. Doesn't show at short exposures and certainly not seen under normal shooting conditions.

So, switch off VR when using the lens for astro work with > 10 sec subs...

Live and learn ⛈️

20-07-2020_Neowise 200mm D800E.png

No-VR.jpg

With-VR-active.jpg

These comparison images have been heavily stretched. Upper No VR, lower with VR active.

Edited by fwm891
images added
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

The image below is one of a set taken last night. The early short exposure subs for framing didn't show the red patches. I'd left the camera running with an intervalometer recording 30 sec sub frames while I sorted out the OSC camera in the obs.

Little horrified when I looked at the results. So I've been playing with the various switches on the lens and found that the patches only show when the 'VR' switch is active. To me that means that vNikon use a light source to dsetect the motion/vibration within the lens to activate the VR controls. Doesn't show at short exposures and certainly not seen under normal shooting conditions.

So, switch off VR when using the lens for astro work with > 10 sec subs...

Live and learn ⛈️

Very interesting Francis, thanks for sharing.  I had noticed a similar red streak, but it turned out it was @Xiga walking past the camera last Sat night 🤣🤣

red-streak-comet.thumb.jpg.3b410bb2be1d7dc29f20a186f6094199.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Haha 3

On 21/07/2020 at 19:22, tooth_dr said:

Very interesting Francis, thanks for sharing.  I had noticed a similar red streak, but it turned out it was @Xiga walking past the camera last Sat night 🤣🤣

red-streak-comet.thumb.jpg.3b410bb2be1d7dc29f20a186f6094199.jpg

🤣 Please tell me it was only this 1 sub Adam 😳

At least I managed to intersect the comet nicely 😋