Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Attempt at Processing

hyak

I've taken a DSO images over the past couple of years - single images with poor guiding and no stacking or processing. Here's my first go at a processed image. It needs improvement, but I'm happy with it as a first attempt. 

I did learn a lot over the weekend, most importantly I learned that I should sleep for a few hours before processing an image. I spent several hours trying to correct a color issue, and I was so tired that I missed what was right under my nose (wrong bayer matrix for my camera). 

I also learned the importance of a good mount. I used my shiny new EQ6-R Pro for the first time this past weekend and my guiding has never been so good. 

Here are the details:

Telescope: William Optics Zenithstar 81

Guide Scope: William Optics Guide Star 61

Imaging Camera: Atik Horizon II OSC

Guide Camera: ZWO ASI120MM

Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

Lights: 30 @ 120 seconds

Darks: 20 @ 120 seconds

Processed in Pixinsight, LightRoom and PhotoShop

Feedback is welcome. I might have cropped the image too much, M27 might not have been the best target for my camera/telescope. 

110294916_10220806716949361_23808981837403077_o.jpg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Very good start. Only thing I can see is some very slight mottling in the background, might be something like a touch too much noise reduction.

Thanks for the feedback. I was following a tutorial and there were quite a few steps focused on noise reduction. I'll try re-processing the image to see if I can cut down on the mottling. 

2 hours ago, hyak said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was following a tutorial and there were quite a few steps focused on noise reduction. I'll try re-processing the image to see if I can cut down on the mottling. 

Probably just need to tweak one or two settings a touch.

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Lovely image.

i agree with @MarkAR. I had a go at the mottle. It's very much personal preference though.

Cheers and HTH.

59_02.thumb.jpg.4be1a56c279f01c54b40ca12261bd27f.jpg

That's much cleaner than my image. Would you mind sharing what tool you used to touch it up? 

43 minutes ago, hyak said:

what tool

Hi

StarTools, but any decent photo app will fix it.

Perhaps best though to go easy(ier) on the development of the image early on.

HTH

Edited by alacant