Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planets observation

I tried to take two pics as i thought it was a planet rather than a star. The one, that was taken early morning, I focused my phone camera pointing towards south east at 3.10am and the night pic was taken pointing north east at 11.45pm. Can someone advise me whether these are planets. If yes, is it possible to identify which planets by looking at it? 

IMG_20200720_042347.jpg

IMG_20200720_033404.jpg

Edited by Msraa

I finally found my answer. My bad i got my directions wrong at first, I must have either looked at Mars or Jupiter in south east during morning and Venus in North west last night (opposite to Mars) . 

9 minutes ago, Msraa said:

I must have either looked at Mars or Jupiter in south east during morning and Venus in North west last night (opposite to Mars) . 

Mars & Venus are not too far apart at the moment and rise after midnight / early morning, and Saturn and Jupiter are close to each other but rise earlier in the night.

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Mars & Venus are not too far apart at the moment and rise after midnight / early morning, and Saturn and Jupiter are close to each other but rise earlier in the night.

Hi, Are you saying I can see saturn and Jupiter when am facing towards south east tonight? That would be lovely. Not sure what i saw early this morning as it was shining and bigger than other stars. Just attached the video, think i was facing north east. 

Not sure your location. I'm in Florida and lucky for me the path the planets follow across the sky, the ecliptic,  is quite high above the Southern horizon. 

Here if you look South about 5am, Jupiter and Saturn will be to your right, slowly setting in the West.

Jupiter is very brilliant, one of the brightest things in the sky. Above it to its and your left, Saturn is much dimmer, but still easily seen.

Mars is almost straight ahead of you, at the zenith, following the ecliptic. It is also very bright and looks redish.

Down close to the Eastern horizon will be Venus, which is normally the third brightest thing in the sky after the Sun and then the Moon.

They are all quite easily seen with just your eyes. 

Edited by maw lod qan
Had to get my left and right straight.

55 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Not sure your location. I'm in Florida and lucky for me the path the planets follow across the sky, the ecliptic,  is quite high above the Southern horizon. 

Here if you look South about 5am, Jupiter and Saturn will be to your right, slowly setting in the West.

Jupiter is very brilliant, one of the brightest things in the sky. Above it to its and your left, Saturn is much dimmer, but still easily seen.

Mars is almost straight ahead of you, at the zenith, following the ecliptic. It is also very bright and looks redish.

Down close to the Eastern horizon will be Venus, which is normally the third brightest thing in the sky after the Sun and then the Moon.

I live in south east of UK mainland. It looks like you are blessed seeing these magic happening in the sky. On sunday early morning it was very cloudy, yesterday night was clear skies. Again today, it looks cloudy. 😩

2 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

I live in south east of UK mainland. It looks like you are blessed seeing these magic happening in the sky. On sunday early morning it was very cloudy, yesterday night was clear skies. Again today, it looks cloudy. 😩

3 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Patience! They're not going anywhere for a little while!😁

Haha, I can't wait.. I normally seen these on you tube videos, but when it really happens before you, its a great feeling.. I even rushed and bought a second hand small telescope. God bless. What a creation.. 

On 21/07/2020 at 05:02, maw lod qan said:

@maw lod qan

Just slightly west of Jupiter, you will pick up a small red star

This is Antares, which is also known as the son of Mars, as a lot of people mistake it for Mars

Moving slightly west of Antares, you should see three star at right angles to Antares, this is the head of Scorpio

Follow the line of star back through Antares, and you will see the loop, which is the tail of Scorpio

Takes up about half the sky

Not sure where you are, you can also see The Crux, known as the Southern Cross

The Crux contains a number of objects including Jewel Box

In Scorpio, you also have Omega Centauri, which is just above the pointers for The Crux

John

Centaurus Crux.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 11:32, Msraa said:

I tried to take two pics as i thought it was a planet rather than a star. The one, that was taken early morning, I focused my phone camera pointing towards south east at 3.10am and the night pic was taken pointing north east at 11.45pm. Can someone advise me whether these are planets. If yes, is it possible to identify which planets by looking at it? 

IMG_20200720_042347.jpg

IMG_20200720_033404.jpg

I think the first pic (daytime) is Venus. It does not appear round as it has phases just like looking at the moon so I would think in your picture it is roughly 3/4 illuminated.

FYI we see these phases from crescent to half to full and back again because Venus along with Mercury are inferior planets ie inside our orbital path and closer to the sun than we are. Any planet farther away than us is always fully illuminated by the sun from our position.
Marvin

On 20/07/2020 at 10:32, Msraa said:

IMG_20200720_042347.jpg

IMG_20200720_033404.jpg

I’ve been observing Saturn and Jupiter over the past few night and can get lovely sights of them both. I use an app in my iPhone called Skyview which is basically an augmented view of the universe based on your current location. Really easy to use and make planning observing sessions quick and easy. Also very easy to use in order to identify things you are looking at, simply point your phone at it.

I like Scorpios, it's my birth sign. This is an old image from earlier this year. Scorpios is visible in it along with some of the Milkway, Jupiter, Saturn and perhaps Mars.

Never was able to figure out what caused the line across the image. It's in several images and moves almost like it's in space.

_MG_9338.JPG

32 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Never was able to figure out what caused the line across the image

Could it be a satellite or just contrails? Guessing that you took a long exposure shot.

Edited by AstroMuni