SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nikon D7100 vs D7200 for astro

nonlinear

Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading my DSLR to either a D7100 or D7200. I see the latter has a much higher native ISO range. Does anyone have experience of whether this makes a real difference with astrophotography. My quess is that it relates more to how the camera processes images rather than sensor s/n ratio. I believe both camera have the same sensor.

Many thanks 

Stuart

According to the published figures the D7002 has slightly less read noise, has a slightly greater ability to pull detail out of the shadows and of course has a few years younger processor and electronics.

I don't think you'll find the extended ISO range makes any difference what so ever. It certainly doesn't on any DSLR I've seen. ISO 200 or 400 seems a good place to start.

All the major software apps support both cameras and as I seem to remember neither has a low pass filter if that makes a difference to you.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

I had read that some users have reported the 7100 has  banding in the shadows. This may be fixed pattern noise which will process out though. The 7200 has a faster processor, which is always nice and built in wifi. I suspect for casual astrophotography (if there is such a thing) there is little to choose between them. The biggest factor is going to be the operator, so me. I'll probably go with whichever one I see a good deal on first.

cheers

Stuart 

• Like 1

That series is such a great camera. I have a 10 year old D7000 that's been used and abused and it's still running strong. Will you connect it to a PC for imaging? The one thing that bothers me about the D7000 is no articulating screen. That wasn't an issue until I bought a newer DSLR and realized how convenient it is. 

If you plan to use it without a PC you might want to look at the D5XXX series. Not as robust, but they have some nice features and at least here in the US are fairly inexpensive used. 

I've just bought a lightly used D7100 (5k shutter operations) off ebay. My current camera is a (draw breath) D50 that I bought new 15 years ago. 6M pixels may not sound a lot but it's been a real joy to own. It really showed it's age a few days ago photographing comet Neowise. A non tracking mount limited my exposure time and the noise at even  ISO 400 really showed the sensors age. Anything higher would be unusable.

I control the D50 from a laptop with Nikon Camera Control, which works very well. Another big improvement I am hoping for is to use live view with a bahtinof mask for focussing. If that works it will save an enormous amount of time.