SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular for neowise

iwols

pretty much any would show it, I was using an old Swift Audubon HR/5 last night which are 8.5x44 and it was nice and clear. Perhaps I'd have seen it closer in the 10x50's but then you have to be able to hold them steady.

So any 8x40/42 or up should do, depends on how compact and lightweight you need them to be for other use and budget of course.

Just don't go for any zoom types, they're generally not very good.

Edited by DaveL59

For the comet, I agree with Dave - any will show it well. 

For general use, do you mean general astro use, or daytime use as well?

I have Pentax 12x50 which are very capable astronomy binoculars, even if the field of view is on the slightly narrow side. The comet easily fits in this field.

I also have some Helios 8x20, which has a much wider fov, but is somewhat dimmer. On bright targets (such as Neowise) this doesn't matter. Not much use for galaxy spotting though.

For day use, I never regret bringing the Pentax out, but because they're a lot bigger and heavier, I don't often do that. The Helios, on the other hand, fit into almost any pocket, and are good enough for the job.

My Opticron 11x70's have provided some stunning views of Comet Neowise including my 1st sighting of it (accompanied by a gasp !) back on the 6th July.

It's nice in a 8x56's as well but the 11x70's really show it off.

11x70s.JPG

1 hour ago, Roy Challen said:

For the comet, I agree with Dave - any will show it well. 

For general use, do you mean general astro use, or daytime use as well?

I have Pentax 12x50 which are very capable astronomy binoculars, even if the field of view is on the slightly narrow side. The comet easily fits in this field.

I also have some Helios 8x20, which has a much wider fov, but is somewhat dimmer. On bright targets (such as Neowise) this doesn't matter. Not much use for galaxy spotting though.

For day use, I never regret bringing the Pentax out, but because they're a lot bigger and heavier, I don't often do that. The Helios, on the other hand, fit into almost any pocket, and are good enough for the job.

Yes Roy I mean general astro use sorry

45 minutes ago, John said:

My Opticron 11x70's have provided some stunning views of Comet Neowise including my 1st sighting of it (accompanied by a gasp !) back on the 6th July.

It's nice in a 8x56's as well but the 11x70's really show it off.

11x70s.JPG

What's the 11x70 opticrons like in general for astro use? 

When comets Hyakutae and Hale-Bopp were visible... I used my 7x50’s and a monopod. I used the same combi/kit on NEOWISE last weekend too. :bino2:

Edited by Philip R

9 hours ago, iwols said:

....What's the 11x70 opticrons like in general for astro use? 

Very good indeed.

These are not the current chinese made 11x70's though. These are the Japanese made LER ones, now out of production.

Finally at last got to observe Neowise, from a dark site (55* 14 latitude). Took 16 x 70 Lunts / monopod and TV85, observed the comet between 11.30pm and 2.00am. The binocular image became increasingly spectacular, presenting a bright blue glow and long vast sweeping tail excellent contrast. It was an impression I will never forget. Therefore 15 or 16 x 70 binoculars, monopod, an observer's or garden chair and a clear lofty observing site with no artificial light pollution NW /N is a winning formula.  

• Like 1

I recently bought some Helios Mistral WP6 ED 8x42s, they are blooming excellent for astro viewing. Neowise has been a treat in them, but they are also very good for asterisms and rich star fields. 

On 20/07/2020 at 15:47, IB20 said:

I recently bought some Helios Mistral WP6 ED 8x42s, they are blooming excellent for astro viewing. Neowise has been a treat in them, but they are also very good for asterisms and rich star fields. 

I have been looking at some of these as well, and the 11x70 opticrons I can't decide! haha