SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Bristol

Richard Wesson

I have been lurking here for a while so thought that I would say hello. I am based in Bristol (UK) and have been largely been observing and doing a little imaging from my patio here in south Bristol. However, I have a hankering for darker sites and have seen posts from time to time from people in this neck of the woods suggesting various places like Wellow and the Mendips. 

I did a bit of a recce last weekend and thought I would explore around Priddy in the Mendips which is a shortish drive and found Deer leap which has (at least in daytime) some good views south across the levels. Has anybody used this location or have any advice/thoughts? It would be good to have some company on the odd session too!

• Like 4

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

I'm from Portishead so not so far away.

There are some fine observing sites on the Mendip Hills. Charterhouse has an observatory.

Bristol Astronomical Society has an observatory at Failand.

Thank you all for the welcome! I have found the forum an invaluable source of information. 

Xsubmariner - I use a Skywatcher 130pds on an EQ3 which is driven by a Simple Dream eq3. Only had the latter about a week, but finding the micro go-to  via wifi link to Sky Safari great. Imaging wise I use a canon 750D . Imaging so far with the scope has been restricted to lunar and am waiting for clear nights at the weekend for imaging! I use the canon for imaging on an Omegon minitrack LX2 with manual lenses earlier in the year - I will use this for wider field stuff. 

3 hours ago, John said:

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

I'm from Portishead so not so far away.

There are some fine observing sites on the Mendip Hills. Charterhouse has an observatory.

Bristol Astronomical Society has an observatory at Failand.

Thank you John, was going to join Bristol AS then corona virus hit...Also hit my sailing sadly too!

Has anybody used Deer Leap for observing - it looks good to me but then I am pretty inexperienced!

8 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

Thank you John, was going to join Bristol AS then corona virus hit...Also hit my sailing sadly too!

Has anybody used Deer Leap for observing - it looks good to me but then I am pretty inexperienced!

We are still meeting though fortnightly zoom meetings but the virus has bought group and outreach observing sessions to a halt for now.

I know Deer Leap but I have not observed from there.

I'm fortunate that my garden has reasonably good views :smiley:

Thanks again all. Had a bit of walk in the Mendips looking at places around Charterhouse. Velvet Bottom looks good with some highish ground a short walk from parking which would be easy to lug scope onto. Couple of other potential places too. Just night clouds to clear!

Richard

Welcome from Land Down Under

3am this morning had Jupiter and Saturn high in the western horizon, Mars was trailing overhead, and Venus was just above the eastern horizon

Earlier in the night had The Crux and Scorpio adjacent to Jupiter and Saturn overhead

Since COVID, also not been able to meet with my club as well

Find attached link to Heavens Above set for my location

https://www.heavens-above.com/skychart2.aspx?lat=-27.9206&lng=153.28291&loc=Maudsland&alt=0&tz=UCTm10

John 

20 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forum, you’ll find it very friendly here.

Fellow observer from just north of you, in Thornbury.

Cheers

Gary

Not too far away then - I understand there are some good spots to the north of Bristol too?

23 hours ago, John said:

Charterhouse is good because it is in a dip. The slightly higher ground surrounding it deals with much of the light pollution from Wells, Bath, Bristol etc.

Hi John, I can imagine the high ground surrounding may have those issues yes. I meant a very slight rise just by the car parking down from the observatory at the and of a no through road which looks good. The next thing to look at is some kind of trolley to aid lugging scope, mount and associated kit. Have been thinking about various ideas such sack trucks, golf carts etc.. All need some degree of modification, but that is part of the fun.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Wesson said:

Hi John, I can imagine the high ground surrounding may have those issues yes. I meant a very slight rise just by the car parking down from the observatory at the and of a no through road which looks good. The next thing to look at is some kind of trolley to aid lugging scope, mount and associated kit. Have been thinking about various ideas such sack trucks, golf carts etc.. All need some degree of modification, but that is part of the fun.. 

What scope do you have ?