SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EP11 - Sunday, 19th July 2020 7:30pm BST - An Introduction to Variable Star Observing by Gary Poyner

Grant

This Sunday at 7:30 we are joined by Gary Poyner of http://www.variablestars.co.uk/ giving us his talk 'An Introduction to Variable Star Observing'.  Gary is one of the most prolific variable star observers on the planet, clocking up more than 300,000 visual observations! Astounding especially when you consider he observers from the heart of Birmingham.

Gary has been observing variable stars for over 40 years! During that time he has been Director of the BAA Variable Star Section, Editor of 'The Astronomer' magazine Variable Star pages, BAAVSS CV & Eruptive Stars Secretary, VSS Circulars editor and Web Master and Chairman of the Heart of England AS.

His main interests are Cataclysmic and Eruptive Variables, which he observes at every opportunity with his 51cm and 22cm reflectors from his observatory in North Birmingham. He also uses AAVSOnet remote telescopes in New Mexico and Arizona for CCD observations of Variables. Over the past few years he have mentored a number of observers in the UK and abroad in the art of variable star observing, and gives talks to Societies around the country. Mentoring and talking to clubs about different aspects of Variable Stars is clearly a passion. 

Gary will give us a brief account of the science behind a selection of Variable Stars, explain how to observe them and discuss the reasons why we observe them. He will also touch on how and why they vary.

This should be an extremely informative talk from somebody who is an expert in the area of variable stars.

Meeting details below:

Topic: EP11 - Sunday, 19th July 2020 7:30pm BST - An Introduction to Variable Star Observing by Gary Poyner
Time: Jul 19, 2020 07:30 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/98776512803?pwd=U1ExNXJlTkJDL0dmcXQwbnNseGF3dz09

Meeting ID: 987 7651 2803
Password: 543320

• Like 6

It astonishes me how so much can be gleaned observing suns so far back in time.
I still wonder about Betelgeuse, this big fellow intrigues me. Will he Won't he ?
Will we observe his demise tomorrow, or should I say 650+ Light Years ago.
He did develop a lump, and that must have  been  painful for him.
Very sad.
Ron.

1 hour ago, barkis said:

It astonishes me how so much can be gleaned observing suns so far back in time.
I still wonder about Betelgeuse, this big fellow intrigues me. Will he Won't he ?
Will we observe his demise tomorrow, or should I say 650+ Light Years ago.
He did develop a lump, and that must have  been  painful for him.
Very sad.
Ron.

Well, next week's BAA webinar will be "Supernova Betelgeuse, What we learnt from the recent fade of this red giant?" It will be given by Dr Mark Kidger of the European Space Agency European Space Astronomy Centre.

Wednesday, 2020, July 29 - 19:00 to 20:00

Zoom/YouTube joining details here: https://britastro.org/node/22765

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Well, next week's BAA webinar will be "Supernova Betelgeuse, What we learnt from the recent fade of this red giant?" It will be given by Dr Mark Kidger of the European Space Agency European Space Astronomy Centre.

Wednesday, 2020, July 29 - 19:00 to 20:00

Zoom/YouTube joining details here: https://britastro.org/node/22765

Many Thanks Jeremy, I've made a note of that, should be interesting for sure.
Ron.

• Like 1