SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using a Focal Reducer

Hi, I have just purchased the SW 0.85 Focal Reducer for ED80. I’m a bit confused about how to set it up/connect to my equipment. I have an M42 adapter for my D7500 but now realise I require an M48. But how do I fit to my focuser tube? Do I need anything else? I’ve attached a pic of my set up.

81E6E1B9-7874-4E78-BED6-D7E42C285F87.jpeg

Not familiar with your particular scope but the eyepiece clamp on the focus tube should unscrew, the reducer screw on in its place. 

Either that or you need a 2" eyepiece tube to clamp it in.  

• Like 1

☝️Like Mark rightly says, the draw tube end fitting should unscrew and, if you are lucky, the threads will match, otherwise you will need an adaptor to convert from draw tube to reducer size.  They can sometimes take a bit of effort, but most do unscrew.

31 minutes ago, RayD said:

☝️Like Mark rightly says, the draw tube end fitting should unscrew and, if you are lucky, the threads will match, otherwise you will need an adaptor to convert from draw tube to reducer size.  They can sometimes take a bit of effort, but most do unscrew.

Hmmm, most unscrew....maybe most new ones, but I have never had one that unscrews until my Tak.... ☹️

That Flattener is designed to go on the end of the skywatcher focuser tube, which does unscrew, but the OP has a Baader focuser and not sure about those... 🤔🤔

7 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hmmm, most unscrew....maybe most new ones, but I have never had one that unscrews until my Tak.... ☹️

That Flattener is designed to go on the end of the skywatcher focuser tube, which does unscrew, but the OP has a Baader focuser and not sure about those... 🤔🤔

No problem. I have several from different manufacturers (SW, TS, ES, Moonlite and Tak) and they all unscrew, so if this one doesn't then it's not going to work that way and the only option is a nose cone if using it.

• Like 1

Not sure if all Baader focusers are made in the same way ie use similar draw tubes, but some definitely do unscrew.  Obviously I don't know your specific one, but if you can see it is definitely one piece, then it isn't going to work, but sometimes it is actually quite hard to tell.  In the thread where this image came from the OP replaced the compression end with a click lock.

Baader.png.c8996dbc4e33e7ee80a77dedb504dd21.png

That’s a confirmed on the Baader that I have. Unfortunately it doesn’t unscrew and is fixed. If anyone can recommend an adapter then that will be great. Otherwise I’ll send it back and start again! 😃