Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Typical DSLR settings for beginner imaging

Hey guys, I have a skywatcher telescope but I would like to focus more on understanding how I should be setting my camera up for astro before connecting it to my 130pds.

I just want to put the camera on a tripod with the 50mm kit lens and use a remote cable and get used to things more.

Can anybody please suggest the best settings for my Nikon d5100 to get started and some good targets. Also exposure times?. Not talking traking here as it's more about learning the camera.

Thanks 🙂

Hi Rob and welcome !

You'll need to use the rule of 500 to work out your longest exposure.

50mm is just about wide enough to get  some milky way shots.

Comet c2020 F3 Neowise would be a great target at the moment if you have clear views to the north

I don't know your camera but rule of thumb ,  highest ISO as possible (then reduce ISO if too noisy  or blown out) 

Edited by Eddie Jones

23 minutes ago, Eddie Jones said:

Hi Rob and welcome !

You'll need to use the rule of 500 to work out your longest exposure.

50mm is just about wide enough to get  some milky way shots.

Comet c2020 F3 Neowise would be a great target at the moment if you have clear views to the north

I don't know your camera but rule of thumb ,  highest ISO as possible (then reduce ISO if too noisy  or blown out) 

Thanks Eddie

Does that mean using bulb mode?

Hi Rob,

As Eddie said above, try the 500 rule but remember to take into account the crop factor which would be about 1.6 on your D5100. You would probably be best using the 300 rule (so 300 / focal length = shutter speed) and working back from there. 

I'd go as wide as possible if you have the 18-55mm kit lens, high ISO, with the fastest aperture possible too - probably f3.5 on a kit lens then adjust as you need to. I'd bring the ISO down before anything else. Manual focussing using live view with magnification on a distant object/star is also a good way to get sharp stars.

Sorry, can't help much with astro targets as I'm a newbie to astro myself but the Milky Way and Comet NEOWISE are good shouts at the moment I would say 🙂

Frankie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RobDoyle said:

Thanks Eddie

Does that mean using bulb mode?

Yes, you can use the 500 rule, or 300 as suggested by Frankiej90 or just try some about 5 seconds - if  you get trails use shorter exposures.
Get out there and give it a go, you may get a some bad pics but it's all part of the learning process !

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Frankiej90 said:

Hi Rob,

As Eddie said above, try the 500 rule but remember to take into account the crop factor which would be about 1.6 on your D5100. You would probably be best using the 300 rule (so 300 / focal length = shutter speed) and working back from there. 

I'd go as wide as possible if you have the 18-55mm kit lens, high ISO, with the fastest aperture possible too - probably f3.5 on a kit lens then adjust as you need to. I'd bring the ISO down before anything else. Manual focussing using live view with magnification on a distant object/star is also a good way to get sharp stars.

Sorry, can't help much with astro targets as I'm a newbie to astro myself but the Milky Way and Comet NEOWISE are good shouts at the moment I would say 🙂

Frankie 

Thanks Frankie. Some great info there

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie Jones said:

Yes, you can use the 500 rule, or 300 as suggested by Frankiej90 or just try some about 5 seconds - if  you get trails use shorter exposures.
Get out there and give it a go, you may get a some bad pics but it's all part of the learning process !

Thanks Eddie

• Like 1

Welcome!

I play with a Canon a lot. Many times I will go through ISO and shutter speeds, looking at the image on the camera to see if I like it, then adjusting more.

I also use it on the telescope, both prime focus and still some eyepiece projection. It's still a look at the image to see if I like it.

What every you do, I think you're going to have fun!

• Like 1