SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon lens 75-300 lens advice

The EF lens should fit on the XT no problem.

Be aware that the field of view (image width) at 300 mm on the sensor will be about 4 degrees wide while the moon is only 1/2 degree wide. The moon will look a little lost in the image.

Zooming the image will reveal that the lens is not really great at that extreme 300 mm and the image will not be crisp. I have used this lens on the moon with a 3 Ti canon and not been impressed with the result.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think that it can still be good to take shots of the Moon, you can just crop the image down and stack some of the images to get a sharper detail.

It can be good for taking sunrises, moonrises, sunsets, moonsets.

Edited by WilliamAstro

• 2 weeks later...

I used this lens to take pictures of the Comet NEOWISE without a tracker.  8 second exposures seemed to be the best (single image attached).  It's an all around good lens, IMHO.  There are definitely better lenses out there, but for what is essentially a kit lens, it does well.

IMG_1980.psd