SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ascom 6.5 released

Dr_Ju_ju

11 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Can someone explain “Alpaca” to me please... 😀

Extra software/comms layer that allow Ascom and hardware to run across many platforms and OS's as one unit - at the moment without Alpaca, Ascom can only run on one PC and all the hardware has to be connected to that PC to use  ASCOM devices/drivers. There are a few exceptions!  As yet ,as far as I am aware, very few Alpaca aware devices exist and I know of only 1 piece of software ,CCDCIEL,that allows connection using Alpaca.  You can set up Alpaca to use existing Ascom devices across different PC's but they will tend to be on Windows OS only. - last time I looked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alpaca enables that multi-host, multi-platform  access that ascom has lacked for a long time. 

I am using it to provide intelligent individual devices that are accessible from ascom. In this way you can write an ascom compliant interface on any hardware just using a simple webserver.

Want to use a Pi as a dome controller ? Use Alpaca to talk ascom. 

I now have alpaca drivers for almost all of ascom. Search github for code if you are inclined. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For people who didn't catch up on this:

If you are installing Ascom 6.5 and you use stellarium 0.20+ and the new devicehub, you can expect some bad crashes.

On a fresh installed machine I had APT and Stellarium force close several times. CDC seems to work ok.

So far its seems that Stellarium doesn't play well with the new devicehub.

Its not completely clear where this comes from, but if you use Stellarium and Ascom, be save and use the previous version of Ascom till this gets resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the very same issue.

APT kept locking up, stellarium said my mount was parked (it wasnt) and couldn't be moved until I unparked it.

Fortunately I had the installer for ASCOM 6.4 on an older laptop so uninstalled 6.5 and installed the older one with POTH hub.. all works fine now.

I hope they fix this soon as the interface for 6.5 does look nice but at least all the software and my mounts are playing nice again 😀