Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I don't see the point of this eyepiece...

Ags

It sort of makes sense.  It would have a similar true field of view on most telescopes to a regular finder, the large exit pupil light loss probably would not impact too much on the aperture of the main telescope and if nothing else it would always be perfectly aligned!    A bit pricey though.       🙂   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

It sort of makes sense.  It would have a similar true field of view on most telescopes to a regular finder, the large exit pupil light loss probably would not impact too much on the aperture of the main telescope and if nothing else it would always be perfectly aligned!    A bit pricey though.       🙂   

I thought that too, however, you  might have to look round the central obstruction on a Newtonian or Cassigrain type telescope!

A black dot finder.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

16 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

It was created to take the place of a finder in refractors.

It's just plain odd.

You can say that again Don!..... oh here you go, save you the trouble 😉

16 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

It was created to take the place of a finder in refractors.

It's just plain odd.

• Haha 1

With an 11 degree FOV i think the only thing it would find is how limited ones patience really is, using it would be like tracking a fly through a straw.

Edited by Sunshine

Quick check on a spreadsheet shows a cheapish 32mm erfle in my 10" dob gives x38, 1.9 tfov and only a 6.8 exit pupil.

Use of this vixen gives x12, 0.9 tfov and 21mm of washed out exit pupil to play with.

Even with a F10 100mm frac the results are equally woeful. 

If the OTA is F15 then it's a possible maybe, other than that I wouldn't waste my time.

Sorry to be so negative, it's not like me but I really think vixen had a little something extra in the tea urn when they put this idea through from design.