Narrowband

Opticron 8 x 20 gallery/monocular.

I have several binoculars. Notably a vintage 8 x 40 Opticron  HR. They really do perform well. Although smallish, the 40mm lens does give clearer more pleasing views compared to some of my 50mm binoculars. But I have been considering a much smaller pocket size monocular such as the Opticron 8 x 20 mm monocular. This would be for carrying frequently such as dog walking, cycling etc. This is where a smaller instrument would be preferable. But my question is would a small 20mm object glass be useful. I accept that like my 40mm Opticron HR binoculars the 20mm would probably be a quality lens. Quality lenses tend to give sharper clearer images.

Edited by Guest

The 20mm is quite good but found the 40mm more useful. Have the 10x42 BGA monocular and it is surprisingly compact and lightweight and focuses down to 2 metres.  Perhaps the 30mm one would be a good comprimise. 🤔

The Leica 8x20 Monovid would be great but £££££££ 🙀

37F3015B-92E0-4618-8589-98D944084A40.jpeg

• Like 1

Several months ago I saw a Opticron 8x24 binocular on a local flea market stall. The binocular was in mint condition with excellent optics and with good eye relief for a specs wearer.

How much did I pay? Just £3.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 10:51, Grumpy Martian said:

I have several binoculars. Notably a vintage 8 x 40 Opticron  HR. They really do perform well. Although smallish, the 40mm lens does give clearer more pleasing views compared to some of my 50mm binoculars. But I have been considering a much smaller pocket size monocular such as the Opticron 8 x 20 mm monocular. This would be for carrying frequently such as dog walking, cycling etc. This is where a smaller instrument would be preferable. But my question is would a small 20mm object glass be useful. I accept that like my 40mm Opticron HR binoculars the 20mm would probably be a quality lens. Quality lenses tend to give sharper clearer images.

Hi Martin

Hope all good with you.

Not sure if my experience will be of any interest to you, but I was at the point of buying a monocular a couple of months or so back.  The Opticron 8x42 & 10x42 were on my short list.  I was looking for something decent but small, that I could slip into my camera bag while on countryside walks during the lockdown.  Inspired by some reviews & comments I read on CN, and on Neil English's website, I ended up going for a small bino instead - the Pentax Papillio 6.5x21.  It just fits in my camera bag, or even a jacket pocket.  It focuses down to 0.5 metres, so it's magic for butterflies and other tiny stuff, while being good enough for some impromptu birding and generally enjoying the view.  AFOV is 7.5 degrees, and it's nice & sharp across some 80% of the field.  It has become our fave nature-walk optical aid!

Best of luck with your choice, whatever you go for.

All the best, Simon

Thanks Simon. I have a set of Helios 8 x 16 binoculars. Sometimes take them when walking Louie the dog. I use them to see if a distant animal is a wood pigeon or squirrel. If the latter then I know to expect a chase. The hound is on good terms with the pigeons. The image through these is dark but adequate. But an improved and wider lens would be good. Giving a brighter and sharper image. So I may go for the Opticron 8 x 20 monocular for this reason and those that you mentioned.

Edited by Guest
Added text.