Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

StarGazingSiouxsie

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. 14 July 2020 Comet Neowise, ISS, Jupiter, Saturn & numerous DSOs.

Posted (edited)

Just had the MOST amazing observing session of my life!!!

I am staying / living in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the moment and am blessed with very dark skies.

About an hour after sunset, appx 9.50pm, I saw comet NeoWise motoring - could literally see it moving as I watched - upwards in to the NW twilight and then watched (10x50 bins & Cassie)  it disappear  over the top of the mountain.............. completely, totally, surreal. I saw comet Hale Bopp in 1997 in London and whilst that was spectacular, what I saw tonight was just absolutely surreal. Most comets 'just' appear to hang in the sky, whereas I could actually see Neowise moving. From coming into view to disappearing over the NW horizon must have taken only 20 minutes or so. There were a lot of helicopters up over the mountain watching it.

Then, at about 10pm heading north was what I believe was the ISS. I've yet to check for sure but it was nearly as bright as Venus and moving slower than a satellite.

Then I saw numerous DSOs, globualr clusters and nebulas. 

Then turning to the SE I saw Jupiter and Saturn, Unlike the other evening when the image was very blurred (atmospheric turbulence?) tonight's images were clear and beautiful. Could clearly see Jupier's cloud belts and the 4 biggest moons. (108x  9mm + 1.5 Barlow)

Saturn was the best I've ever seen him. Crystral clear ring definition and I am sure I saw one of his moon at about 7 O'clock to his position - maybe Titan? 

I'm not an experienced astronomer (telescope wise) but I have followed this subject all my life. I don't know much but I do know that not many people will ever get to see what I did tonight all in the course of 2 hours. 

I am very blessed and thrilled beyond belief!!!! Everything tonight viewed through my trusty 5'" Newtonian, Cassie 😍

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, StarGazingSiouxsie said:

Just had the MOST amazing observing session of my life!!!

I am staying / living in the Blue Ridge Mountains at the moment and am blessed with very dark skies.

About an hour after sunset, appx 9.50pm, I saw comet NeoWise motoring - could literally see it moving as I watched - up in to the NW twilight and then watched (10x50 bins & Cassie)  it disappear  over the top of the mountain.............. completely, totally, surreal. I saw comet Hale Bopp in 1997 in London and whilst that was spectacular, what I saw tonight was just absolutely surreal. Most comets 'just' appear to hang in the sky, whereas I could actually see Neowise moving. From coming into view to disappearing over the NW horizon must have taken only 20 minutes or so. There were a lot of helicopters up over the mountain watching it. 

Then, at about 10pm heading north was what I believe was the ISS. I've yet to check for sure but it was nearly as bright as Venus and moving slower than a satellite.

Then I saw numerous DSOs, globualr clusters and nebulas. 

Then turning to the SE I saw Jupiter and Saturn, Unlike the other evening when the image was very blurred (atmospheric turbulence?) tonight's images were clear and beautiful. Could clearly see Jupier's cloud belts and the 4 biggest moons. (108x  9mm + 1.5 Barlow)

Saturn was the best I've ever seen him. Crystral clear ring definition and I am sure I saw one of his moon at about 5 O'clock to his position - maybe Titan? 

I'm not an experienced astronomer (telescope wise) but I have followed this subject all my life. I don't know much but I do know that not many people will ever get to see what I did tonight all in the course of 2 hours. 

I am very blessed and thrilled beyond belief!!!! Everything tonight viewed through my trusty 5'" Newtonian, Cassie 😍

Great account of what sounds like a wonderful and unforgettable experience.

ISS was particularly bright for me last night also and, being in Southern Spain, was almost directly overhead and the best pass I've ever witnessed.

• Like 1