Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Today after the midnight I recorded the spectrum of C/2020 F3 (Neowise). I couldn't change new diffraction grating  (300 l/mm) before the midnight in my Low Spec 2 spectrograph. I have printed second unmodified mounting for grating and I had to use it, because dispersion angles are different than the 1800 l/mm diffraction grating. It was also necessary to assemble and run the setup. Not all lines were identified, the spectrum is different than spectra published on the internet. The violet range is worse due to the poor correction of chromatic aberration in achromatic lenses in my Low Spec and my APO, so lines are weaker. Intensity hasn't been corrected. I think that this comet was too low above the horizon to do it well. This is also the first light with a diffraction grating 300 l/mm used in the Low Spec 2.

Slit position, PHD2 screen:

PHD2_slit_Neowise.png.b88c7b14bc9cd8a2c954cf49bb2e8511.png

Spectrum with stretched histogram, faint LP of my city is present in the background, 5x60s stack:

218378053_SpectrumLP.thumb.PNG.a66c4b018dc09134f2d65ab96d046b52.PNG

I hope that I correctly substracted LP from the comet spectrum.

The result obtained in the BASS software:

Neowise_spectrum.thumb.PNG.c5185203b639cb531749330a6ca2f7cf.PNG

We have carbon C2 bands, CN and strong emission of sodium doublet. Some lines are unidentified yet.

• Like 12

Very nice work. Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

Well done!

Good result. Interesting that the Sodium peak appears to be diminishing, and the Swan bands increasing..

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Last night I recorded again the comet's head spectrum. NEOWISE has weakened significantly. There was a big change in 5 days. No sodium NaD emission. This comet is more green due to emission in the C2 Swan bands.

Comparison below:

Neowise_spectra.thumb.png.e2b4051d33fdb5bd972b501fc973b164.png

Plot.thumb.PNG.73395329b53143f93918fb0e7fd9e6be.PNG

Edited by Bajastro
  • Like 5

Another great result! Well done.

You're certainly putting the LowSpec through its paces.

Posted (edited)
On 20/07/2020 at 13:09, Bajastro said:

No sodium NaD emission.

There is still some around showing at high resolution in this raw image from last night under poor conditions (LHIRES 1200 l/mm R~11500)

neowise_20200720.jpg.8eddb4ab3474b5470e08b93ab94ef52c.jpg

but significantly less than 10 days ago when the comet was closer to the sun

F3_raw_LHIRES1200_20200710.png.140643cd8a7b2efc58d3c3a2c23f346c.png

Note how the displacement between the comet and sky emission lines due to the Doppler effect has reduced as the comet is moving slower in our direction  relative to us now

Cheers

Robin

Edited by robin_astro
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astropedro
      Looking to buy either an NEQ6 or a HEQ5 mount.  Im in Cheshire but dont mind paying for delivery/postage.  Would consider a good imaging scope or setup too.

Thanks.

Pete
    • By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £650
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton

• By etunar
      Last week I discovered a reasonably wobble on the RA axis on my HEQ5 which ended up causing lots of double stars on my subs (i am guessing because the mount kept wobbling between the two positions.) So I did the worm gear adjustment and the wobble seems to have disappeared. I did a full slew rotation check and couldn't tell any binding/grinding (I had binding at 1st attempt but was resolved after further adjustments).
      Thanks to the clear skies last few nights, I had it running throughout the night 3 times now. My overall guiding is much better than before, averaging between 0.6 and 0.8 Total error. However, when the mount gets closer to the home position (usually after 2-3am), I seem to start having tracking issues. I have attached screenshots to show examples; sometimes it's trailing, sometimes it's double stars, and sometimes it makes a u-turn to track back to the original position.
      PHD log files from another night are here: https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_tych.zip
      Is this a balance issue that becomes apparent when the mount is more vertical? I'm relatively new to using this mount, so most of my previous sessions have been closer to the meridian. Or is my worm gear tightened just a bit too much and causing issues? I can't really hear anything wrong when slewing at high speed.
      Only other thing i can think of is, I sometimes get error messages on PHD but pulse command being ineffective, but these happen at other times as well without causing any issues.
      It's losing me 7-8 frames over the span of 2.5 hours, so it would be nice to get it resolved if anyone has any ideas?
      Thanks

• By lkimber
      I know it may be a bit of a long shot but I'm looking to buy a HEQ5 Pro mount or an NEQ6 Pro or something similar. Preferably belt driven but not necessary as can happily modify it. Please let me know if you have anything! Thanks.
    • By Bajastro
      On 3-rd of September, just before sunset, I set up my equipment, aimed the telescope towards the zenith, set the spectrograph on the double sodium line and every now and then ran a series of photos, adjusting the exposure time (30-120 s) and gain. At the end it was so dark that the gain had to be increased almost to "what the factory gave".
      I was not sure if we would be able to register anything at the resolution of 1800 l/mm holographic diffraction grating, slit with 40 μm wide. I also tracked the height (the depth of the sun below the horizon). I read in some publications that when the Sun is about 8° below the horizon, mesospheric sodium layer is in emission near the zenith above the observation site.
      Two disappearing absorption lines and emission lines appearing in their place were recorded:

And an animation with the given position of the Sun relative to the horizon:

The capabilities of the printed in 3D technology my Low Spec spectrograph are amazing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.