Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power bank for a se8

hi all, 

My first post, I generally just read about things that I'm not to sure about.....

So I'm a  brand new virgin gazer...i have purchased a celestron se8,

I currently set it in the garden, weather permitted, Manchester 🇬🇧 always dull..😆.....

So I use an extension lead for the power pack..however I do have a few trees, a rifle range wall in the way of some viewing....

But if I walk up to a hill near to my house I can have a very good all round viewing point. But I don't fancy pulling an extension lead from the house, some 800mtrs...

What 12v power bank could I get for it, I have searched about in this forum,  but they date back to 2013... and maplins.. they are no longer with us.. so have any of you guys have any links as to what I need...

Thanks all,

Alan.

Not sure, this is all new to me and the weather has been pretty lame. 

The good USB power banks have huge capacity though. 

I’m just on a skywatcher AZ GTI. 

havent tried myself, but planning too, as my old power tank has recently bit the dusk, lots of different capacity with extra USB slots etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16800mAh-Heavy-Duty-600A-USB-Jump-Starter-Battery-Car-Power-Bank-Charger-Booster/392831717029?hash=item5b76984ea5:g:~G0AAOSwYvJe36bd

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

1 hour ago, gaz81 said:

I’ve been trying a USB battery back with a 12v converter (basically a cable with a slightly bigger USB plug). 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J6NYVJV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.KydFbWHT669Y

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kMydFb0E84JR1

seems to work. 

Not sure about that usb step up cable. The 12v output is only 0.6amps, not enough to power a mount.

Hi Alz7147, and welcome to SGL

I use the TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack.

It is fantastic, and last a good night session.

Also attached to my NexStar 8se mount so no more cord wrap. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0713T4XT9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Mick H

You can use anything so long as it delivers +12v with sufficient current capacity for long enough.

I have a car starter with cigarette-lighter style outlet, a Celestron LiFePo power tank, and a 12v 7Ah sealed lead acid battery. They all do the job of powering a C8 SE. 

Anything that looks really small or really cheap may not have enough capacity for a long session.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

The best battery option in my opinion is a 12v leisure battery, could also be called a gel or deep cycle battery, they are designed to be used through nearly their full capacity typically inside a caravan, this means that you can run as many gadgets off it and slew with wild abandon with no worries of running out of power.  These will be available from a motoring shop and come in various sizes, you'll probably only need a relatively small one (think small or medium size car battery).  Might want to get a rigid tool bag with a good handle to carry it in as they can be heavy.

Regular 12v lead-acid car batteries use a different chemistry to leisure batteries, they are designed to give a short burst of power (to start a car engine) and then trickle charge from the running engine, if they are discharged beyond 50% they can be permanently damaged and their capacity degraded.  Typically this is what will be in a Power Tank and those emergency starter batteries.

I use a leisure battery if I am going out to a dark site with my NEQ6 Pro, never have any problems with power.

Whatever battery you decide to get, be sure to get a decent battery charger, a smart Ring charger would be my choice to keep the battery in good working order.

Edited by jonathan