Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another NEOWISE...

698590694_CometC2020F3-1jpg.jpg.30a5a4b599f13091eea8326fe8974dd8.jpg

From around 3.20 a.m. on July 11th, 10 x 4s each for LRGB (Esprit ED100 and AtiK 460/EFW2 combo), stacked in Astroart and absolutely hammered in PSP to reduce twilight gradients and stretch out the ion tail which was hiding in the murk and background noise.  Still pretty ropey but I have now got square eyes from trying to process this.

Edited by Hallingskies
Image accidentally erased, now reinstated
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, Scooot said:

That’s a cracker! :) 

Thanks.  Really needed a darker sky to do it justice.  I had to crop out about 50% of the frame, the gradients were that bad.  Might have another play to try and blend with some earlier wider field subs I took.

Edited by Hallingskies
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Good job, I still haven't managed to prize the ion tail out.

Dave

The “equalise” function in PSP (or PhotoShop as well, I think) shows up anything that might be hiding, you can then selectively layer in the stuff you want with a bit of tlc.

9 hours ago, Eddie Jones said:

one of the best I've seen :)

Thanks, but it really doesn’t hold a candle to some of the recent ones on here, or here...

https://spaceweathergallery.com/index.php?title=neowise

Now the comet is rising into darker skies there should be some cracking shots to be had soon - skies permitting...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

The “equalise” function in PSP (or PhotoShop as well, I think) shows up anything that might be hiding, you can then selectively layer in the stuff you want with a bit of tlc.

Thanks, but it really doesn’t hold a candle to some of the recent ones on here, or here...

https://spaceweathergallery.com/index.php?title=neowise

Now the comet is rising into darker skies there should be some cracking shots to be had soon - skies permitting...

Great shot, hats off to all who are imaging this under such current challenging conditions (skimming the horizon and no proper darkness). Ever the optimist I’m planning a trip to an open elevated dark site in the next week or so, currently praying to the Cloud Gods. I’m assuming Comet Neowise will rapidly diminish in size and brightness as the month end approaches?

5 hours ago, tomato said:

I’m assuming Comet Neowise will rapidly diminish in size and brightness as the month end approaches?

It seems the beast has a 5km wide nucleus, so hopefully it won’t crash in brightness too much in the next couple of weeks.    According to predictions to date, it should still be third magnitude right through to August.

Good luck with the trip, hope the Cloud Goddess is kind to you...