Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice for upgraded rig

Hi All

I've currently been (modestly) using a Star Adventurer (unguided) and DSLR camera and lenses for astrophotography which I've had pleasing results from, but now hit the ceiling of my expectations and looking to progress to the next step. Its great for wide angle landscape astro shots but want more for DSO imaging. Having spent quite some time contemplating what I'm looking for I've come up with the following kit that I think suits what I'm after for my next step, and allowing (a little) room for further upgrades later down the line. I thought it would be worth running past the more experienced community as to whether this seems a good combination for me right now or anything that stands out as being an obstacle or problem for me so I don't waste my money. 

To give a little context, unfortunately I live in an apartment at the moment with no garden or real means to do any imaging close to home, and living in the south east of the UK the best place I've found for dark skies without travelling hours is about an hour and half away. So at present I'm limited somewhat in my opportunities and time available, need something reasonably portable without too much of a jump in complexity and time to setup as I generally travel to remote locations on my own. I do understand that the complexity involved in going from my current set up to this is quite large but do feel I've gained quite a good understanding of the technical process to achieve some results.

Here's what I'm looking at:

• iOption CEM25P
  • WO Redcat51/Spacecat 51
  • ZWO ASI294-MC Pro
  • ZWO Finder Guider & ASI120MM
  • ZWO ASIAir Pro
  • 12V Power Tank (yet to select one)

My thought process on the above was

CEM25P - Reasonably portable compared to others, low PE, payload may be an issue when I outgrow the scope and look to progress, but I figure there is plenty of fun I can have until I want to upgrade to something else

Redcat51 - Happy enough for now targeting more widefield targets that I'm after, again can expand my scope collection when I progress

ASI294-MC Pro - contemplated for a long time going mono but given that I am limited to travelling out to image I don't want to be stressing about time shooting with different filters. When I move somewhere with a garden I can then look to get into mono and filters/narrowband so happy enough now with OSC, which I'm hoping will be significantly better than my current (unmodified) DSLR. I don't see much to be gained in getting my DSLR modified with dedicated cameras as an option. I played around with the FOV calculator on this, the 533 and the 183 cameras and this seems the best fit to me, I like the zero amp glow option of the 533 but something about the square sensor is putting me off and think with such a short focal length of the RedCat I'd have pixel scale issues and be massively undersampling? 

ASIAir Pro - seems a good option if I'll always be on battery power (for now) without the complexity of leaving a laptop out whilst I'm imaging and suffering with battery life on that too. And can use it for guiding and plate solving

Before I push the button on this I'd be very grateful of any more experienced views on this combo. Is there anything to be gained in trying to get a deal on a price for the whole lot or would I be wasting my time compared to the RRPs of it all? By my calculation I'm looking at a little over £3k on this, before looking at any filters etc.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Yooster