Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any tips for improving images with equipment provided?

Hi,

I'm getting started with some basic planetary imaging with a webcam, and was after any tips if any of you could help me? :)

I've attached some files of sum images I've taken.

My question is, is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong? Also, what would you upgrade first? As I'm leaning toward the camera, seeing as it only does 30fps at 480p. It's just an xBox live vision webcam.

Complete equipment list:

130/900 Skywatcher newt (spherical)

EQ2 mount

90/900 skywatcher achromat

AZ3 mount

Celestron eyepiece/filter kit (not a good buy) - celestron 2x barlow

svbony 5x barlow

phone holder (phone is a samsung S8)

Xbox live vision camera

Thanks all!

final.png

01_28_47_pipp_g4_ap13.png

Saturn 1.png

mars 1.jpg

Those shots really aren't bad, I don't think you're doing much wrong! Planetary imaging does take a lot of practice, particularly with focusing and data processing. Collimation and cooling of the scope are important to master too.

Half of the effort behind a good planetary image is just having the motivation to get out there night after night in order to catch those nights of good seeing which really allows the equipment to show what it can do. 

Next time you're out you could try capturing more frames which will give you more options for the processing. 

That's good to know, and thank you. So do you think getting a dedicated cam like an ASI120MC would benefit much? Because I saw on CN a small bore challenge and people with similar setups got absolutely incredible results. Although they probably have a lot more practice.

Yeah a planetary camera certainly won't hurt, and will stay with you as you upgrade the rest of the kit. Look for a USB3 model which will give you faster frame rates (as long as you have usb3 on your computer of course), the 224c (various manufacturers)  is a great planetary camera and can be picked up fairly cheap used.