SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Portable tripod for star tracker - metal or carbon?

Carbon or steel for the legs etc shouldn't make any difference in stability.

If constructed to be equally stiff,  the carbon one might be lighter, which is not necessarily a Good Thing for a tripod.

More important would be how close the tolerances are on the fittings, that will determine how "wobbly" the tripod is.

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks. Well, I was looking at Manfrotto and some of the lesser branded carbon tripods (which seem to be the same as each other than for branding). Would the iOptron 1 1/4" tripod (which is reasonably portable, but not helpful for photography) be a whole lot better?  

One other thing! - metal tripods will get extremely cold during the winter months. To protect your fingers/hand from being frozen to the legs, you could add some pipe insulating foam on the top leg sections.

Alternatively, you could go wood... i.e.  https://www.berlebach.de/en/ - OK they are expensive, but wood has good vibration damping/elimination properties.

I have just bought a Manfrotto 055 and it’s rock solid - it is however longer than the ultra portable models and heavier too - I guess one follow question is “how portable”?

The 055 is easy to chuck in the car and sling over a shoulder for short walks, but not sure it’s suitable for taking on a plane for example. 

30 minutes ago, wormix said:

I have just bought a Manfrotto 055 and it’s rock solid - it is however longer than the ultra portable models and heavier too - I guess one follow question is “how portable”?

The 055 is easy to chuck in the car and sling over a shoulder for short walks, but not sure it’s suitable for taking on a plane for example. 

Is that a 3 or 4 section? Metal or carbon? What kit are you using with it?

On 14/07/2020 at 05:15, Philip R said:

One other thing! - metal tripods will get extremely cold during the winter months. To protect your fingers/hand from being frozen to the legs, you could add some pipe insulating foam on the top leg sections.

Alternatively, you could go wood... i.e.  https://www.berlebach.de/en/ - OK they are expensive, but wood has good vibration damping/elimination properties.

I'm using a Berlebach Report with my SkyGuider Pro. It's not super compact, but it's light and very stable. It's solid enough that I also use it with a Giro Mini and Stellavue M2 for visual. It's my most used tripod. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2020 at 14:47, wormix said:

Below is my Manfrotto 055, (the PROB) with my 're-modded' ETX105 and Universal Optics DwarfStar mount...

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.c0cda8510acd51b8dccf7f8596e13ace.JPG

...the ideal/perfect lightweight 'grab & go'.

I sometimes will attach my Tele-Optic Giro mkII or AOK-AYO if viewing as a dual 'scope setup.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1