Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you work out how much counter weight you need?

Hi All

i’ve tried to search to find the answer but not had much luck. 

Basically, converting the AZ GTI to EQ mode... you add all the relevant parts like wedge, counter weight bar and weight. 

However, how do you calculate how much counter weight to use? ...which means buying 🙂

My scope is the Startravel 102T, looking around and at pictures of kits you can buy it seems 2KG would be about right?.... but how do you work it out?

I had a similar problem to solve when starting to use my EQ5 with a home-made camera-and-guidescope mounting plate.

Calculating was way beyond my theoretical abilities so instead I set everything up and hung bags of dried goods from the larder from the middle of the counterweight bar until I got a good balance.

It turned out I needed about 2 kg and fortunately Bresser did a a 2kg weight with the right centre hole diameter.  There's one on Ebay at the moment but at £40+ it seems a little expensive for a chunk of white painted steel?