Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi i own Celestron 130EQ which comes with 20mm erect EP and 10mm EP.... i bought a GSO ED 3x Barlow... The focus is not very sharp while using Barlow... Is it the EP at fault ???? Is it worth upgrading to Kelner or a Plossl ???? 

Hi @Karan05 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What are you viewing? - Using the 10mm e/p and a 3x Barlow is way to much magnification for your 'scope.

At the time of writing, Jupiter, Saturn & Mars are low down for northern latitudes, so getting a clear view of the planet surface/disc is not going to be easy.

• Like 1

Hi Karan,

The Celestron 20mm erecting eyepiece contains a set of prisms which rotate the view to allow terrestrial observing. This produces a very narrow apparent field of view (only about 30 degrees) and a rather dim image. Replacing it with an inexpensive generic Plossl will provide a much wider apparent field (about 52 degrees) and a noticeably brighter image.

A 32 mm Plossl would also be very useful since it would provide the largest field of view available with a 1.25" eyepiece; very handy for larger DSO's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenscap said:

Hi Karan,

The Celestron 20mm erecting eyepiece contains a set of prisms which rotate the view to allow terrestrial observing. This produces a very narrow apparent field of view (only about 30 degrees) and a rather dim image. Replacing it with an inexpensive generic Plossl will provide a much wider apparent field (about 52 degrees) and a noticeably brighter image.

A 32 mm Plossl would also be very useful since it would provide the largest field of view available with a 1.25" eyepiece; very handy for larger DSO's.

Very valid point....  I was actually wondering why my field of view is narrow with 20mm... Probably gonna buy a 25mm or 32 mm.. 

That will also help me bring it closer to a more useful magnification with 3x barlow....

Does anyone suggest to buy a 6mm or 8mm plossl... Instead of using a 10mm stock..

2 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Karan05 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What are you viewing? - Using the 10mm e/p and a 3x Barlow is way to much magnification for your 'scope.

At the time of writing, Jupiter, Saturn & Mars are low down for northern latitudes, so getting a clear view of the planet surface/disc is not going to be easy.

Thanks @Philip R pleasure being here

Im viewing Jupiter and Saturn which is at gr8 position for me Living in India...

10mm ep with 3x barlow pulls up 195x mag which i thought is still lower than company claimed 307x max useful magnification... Correct me if im wrong plz..

• Thanks 1

I would avoid Kellners in favor of Plossls.  There were a few Japanese made (Nikon and Pentax) long Kellners that are highly sought after, but beyond that, they're generally not that great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karan05 said:

Im viewing Jupiter and Saturn which is at gr8 position for me Living in India...

Yep, you're even further south than I am here in Texas.  You can relate to air you can wear. 💦

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Karan05 said:

Thanks @Philip R pleasure being here

10mm ep with 3x barlow pulls up 195x mag which i thought is still lower than company claimed 307x max useful magnification... Correct me if im wrong plz..

Don't believe that hype @Karan05.

Why 'scope manufacturers include absurd magnifications in the specs and advertising is beyond me.

You will be lucky at 200x which is the theoretical maximum under a perfect sky. The late Sir Patrick Moore is often quoted to saying: "...50x per inch..." and that was for a refractor many moons ago. If you live in or near a town/city, then there is very little or no chance. Apologies in advance if that is not what you wanted to read/hear.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JamieHardcastle
      Hi everyone,
      My other half bought me (us) a Celestron 130 for my birthday recently.
      I have watched tutorials and done a lot of reading about collimating and various other tips since alongside several hours peering through the telescope.
      I can achieve a very crisp image of the moon which is awesome. However, trying to get a decent focus on Mars/Jupiter Saturn is proving very frustrating. The only non-blurred image of any of them is a single white-point, non dissimilar to what I can see via the naked eye. 
      i’ve tried both the 20mm & 10mm lenses and adjusted the focus in and out all the way.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
      thank you, in advance.
    • By MountainDog
      I have just encountered an error message which says "NO RESPONSE 16" when I power up my 130slt. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    • By Dario
      Hi everyone!
      As I said few days ago in my presentation I recently got my first scope  (skywatcher 127) and over the last days I tried to test It.
      Due to impossibility (temporary) to bring the scope in a decent location to make observations, I had to test it from home through a window  (and under the sky of London - not the best at all). So i know that quality is of course affected.
      On the other hand, I am sure that the performances are worse than I could expect also under these conditions (maybe you will correct me) and would asks for opinions to improve.
      As a (mainly) planetary scope, I did not have a lot of choice: no Moon, Jupiter and Saturn out of my field of view. I pointed at Mars.
      First sight, I see the very big central obstruction. I played with the knob of the focus to get rid of the big black spot in the centre of my target and here you are the issues that I would like to talk about:
      1) the target became very small (ok) but still was not focus  (very blurry and not a lot of clues to get atleast the shape of the planet well defined - can imagine to find any detail on it )
      2) Also the colours did not convince me as no other colour than a light yellow was visible
      3) Changing the eyepiece  (10 instead of 25) for a magnification of 150x did not improve the situation: probably the image was even worse, more blurry with more irregular shape than before, no ability to focus at all. Differences from before : bigger (but still much smaller than expected) and very little variation in colours (I believe I saw a bit of orange).
      To complete, later, I tried the scope to stars: Orion costellation was visible from my place and tried to all the stars. Although still a bit blurry  (the brightest stars), I had impression of more sharp view, differentiation in colour and better shape  (stars almost like a dot). Moreover, to give you a final idea, Mars (at the best focus I could get) did not appear that much bigger than Betelguese.
      What do you think I can do to get better results? Could be a scope problem or some adjustments needed? Unfortunately I have no comparisons. 
      Thank you, Hope I was not too long 😅
    • By NightSky_Wanderer
      Hi,
      I am hoping someone here may be able to offer some help or advice. I have submitted a support ticket with Celestron but I am still waiting for a reply and would really like to get this working ready for the next clear sky!
      I recently brought a starsense but have not been able to use it because it comes up with the following errors,
      Err: Model Num
      The telescope model could not be read and initialization cannot proceed.
      Critical error!
      File: ..\source\mo
      Line: 1468
      An unexpected error occurred that may cause the HC to not opperate normally.
      When updating the controller and camera it finishes succesfully but when I check for new updates it proceeds to install the same one again and again.
      I can still control the mount and I think the camera tried to do an alignment in my room.
      I have a Celestron Nexstar 6SE.
      Thanks
      Adz
    • By Sky-searcher
      BST Starguider & Olivon Branded 60 degree ED eyepieces. Best upgrade from standard plossl eyepieces. 16mm eye relief, large 21mm diameter eye lens & suitable for f5 scopes & above. All eyepieces in excellent condition. Only reason for sale is now using Baader Morpheus eyepieces.
      Starguider 8mm with original packaging £38 inc UK postage. SOLD
      Starguider 15mm with original packaging £38 inc UK postage. SOLD
      Olivon 5mm, 12mm & 18mm set & case. £100 inc UK postage.
      Payment by PayPal F&F or fees paid by buyer.
       Thanks Andy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.