Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Stock EP or Plossl/Kelner

Hi i own Celestron 130EQ which comes with 20mm erect EP and 10mm EP.... i bought a GSO ED 3x Barlow... The focus is not very sharp while using Barlow... Is it the EP at fault ???? Is it worth upgrading to Kelner or a Plossl ???? 

Hi @Karan05 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What are you viewing? - Using the 10mm e/p and a 3x Barlow is way to much magnification for your 'scope.

At the time of writing, Jupiter, Saturn & Mars are low down for northern latitudes, so getting a clear view of the planet surface/disc is not going to be easy.

• Like 1

Hi Karan,

The Celestron 20mm erecting eyepiece contains a set of prisms which rotate the view to allow terrestrial observing. This produces a very narrow apparent field of view (only about 30 degrees) and a rather dim image. Replacing it with an inexpensive generic Plossl will provide a much wider apparent field (about 52 degrees) and a noticeably brighter image.

A 32 mm Plossl would also be very useful since it would provide the largest field of view available with a 1.25" eyepiece; very handy for larger DSO's.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenscap said:

Hi Karan,

The Celestron 20mm erecting eyepiece contains a set of prisms which rotate the view to allow terrestrial observing. This produces a very narrow apparent field of view (only about 30 degrees) and a rather dim image. Replacing it with an inexpensive generic Plossl will provide a much wider apparent field (about 52 degrees) and a noticeably brighter image.

A 32 mm Plossl would also be very useful since it would provide the largest field of view available with a 1.25" eyepiece; very handy for larger DSO's.

Very valid point....  I was actually wondering why my field of view is narrow with 20mm... Probably gonna buy a 25mm or 32 mm.. 

That will also help me bring it closer to a more useful magnification with 3x barlow....

Does anyone suggest to buy a 6mm or 8mm plossl... Instead of using a 10mm stock..

2 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Karan05 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What are you viewing? - Using the 10mm e/p and a 3x Barlow is way to much magnification for your 'scope.

At the time of writing, Jupiter, Saturn & Mars are low down for northern latitudes, so getting a clear view of the planet surface/disc is not going to be easy.

Thanks @Philip R pleasure being here

Im viewing Jupiter and Saturn which is at gr8 position for me Living in India...

10mm ep with 3x barlow pulls up 195x mag which i thought is still lower than company claimed 307x max useful magnification... Correct me if im wrong plz..

• Thanks 1

I would avoid Kellners in favor of Plossls.  There were a few Japanese made (Nikon and Pentax) long Kellners that are highly sought after, but beyond that, they're generally not that great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karan05 said:

Im viewing Jupiter and Saturn which is at gr8 position for me Living in India...

Yep, you're even further south than I am here in Texas.  You can relate to air you can wear. 💦

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Karan05 said:

Thanks @Philip R pleasure being here

10mm ep with 3x barlow pulls up 195x mag which i thought is still lower than company claimed 307x max useful magnification... Correct me if im wrong plz..

Don't believe that hype @Karan05.

Why 'scope manufacturers include absurd magnifications in the specs and advertising is beyond me.

You will be lucky at 200x which is the theoretical maximum under a perfect sky. The late Sir Patrick Moore is often quoted to saying: "...50x per inch..." and that was for a refractor many moons ago. If you live in or near a town/city, then there is very little or no chance. Apologies in advance if that is not what you wanted to read/hear.

• Like 1