Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neowise

stevetynant

Hi guys - has anyone in the S Wales group had any luck spotting comet Neowise yet - I know its still low in the sky at the meoment - I stayed up until 3am on the weekend to observe but my elevation just can't be high enough at the moment. I'm thinking of taking a trip the next time the clouds disappear- anyone got any good spots for observing - preferably in S Wales - I'm guessing we will still have a couple of weeks but Wales is notorious for its weather so not as many chances as we would hope for no doubt

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve 😊

Yes, I've managed to see it.  These are from the mountain road between Aberbargoed and Tredegar (Cefn Golau).  We parked by the wind turbine and the comet could be seen above the glow of Tredegar.

I've also seen it in our street - with binos though as the streetlights are problematic for naked eye.

Screenshot_20200713-114130.thumb.png.51d2eb32a208b2d7cf7d0688920d0efe.png

Helen 

Fantastic Helen - I did stay up until the early hours on the weekend but to no avail though i didn't travel further than the bedroom for elevation I must admit - hopefully with the weather forecast as is it is I haven't missed my chance though I will be on the coast in the next two weeks - I'm wondering whether the Cross in Gelligaer might just give me enough of a vantage point if I get an unexpected chance before then - anyhows lovely to hear from you and fab photos :0)

5 hours ago, stevetynant said:

Fantastic Helen - I did stay up until the early hours on the weekend but to no avail though i didn't travel further than the bedroom for elevation I must admit - hopefully with the weather forecast as is it is I haven't missed my chance though I will be on the coast in the next two weeks - I'm wondering whether the Cross in Gelligaer might just give me enough of a vantage point if I get an unexpected chance before then - anyhows lovely to hear from you and fab photos :0)

Funnily enough Steve I was coming back from Nelson yesterday early evening and noted that from the Cross the horizon might be good - so said to Mike it might be worth a try from their car park!!  We would have tried Gelligaer common last weekend, but the road was closed..  If the forecast looks good and I'm heading up I'll ping you a message...

Helen

I was about to message you Steve - I'm in the field by Cascade community centre and have got it too 🙂. I just came for a wander through the estate to see what might be possible.  Heading home to get my camera and a small scope now... Enjoy 😎

IMG_20200716_230233.jpg

Hi Helen so pleased we had a chance tonight and now I know where I'm looking hopefully Sunday/Monday night should be even better and I can take a tripod with me to get some better photos though I'm glad to have a momento 8anyway 😆 

20200716_232903.jpg

20200716_232132.jpg

20200716_231213.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 22:33, brrttpaul said:

I had a nice night Friday night, went on a tip behind my house (merthyr) spectacular view of the comet and some noc clouds

DSC_0423.png

Fantastic Image Paul - I'm assuming its not the phone lol

Yes, a friend did that, and someone did Caerphilly castle as the foreground.

It's probably worth doing sooner rather than later as the comet will fade and the tail get smaller.

Helen

• Like 1