Mare Humorum sketch

Andrew*

I bit off more than I could chew. It was already late (for me :mrgreen: ) when I'd started as I had been imaging the Pleiades conjunction. Plus I picked a large area to sketch which I could never have done justice to in less than 2 hours. So I'm not (ahem!) over the moon with this one as it's nowhere near finished, but I'll share it anyway.

What I am happy with is capturing the Marsenius rilles network, which according to VMA requires a 300mm instrument to resolve. I definitely saw some very fine threads along that edge of the "sea" and I was using the 200mm Newtonian.

11632_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Features: North-west portion of Mare Humorum, Gassendi, Marsenius, Rimae Marsenius.

Scope: Skywatcher 8" newtonian

Eyepieces: 10mm Zeiss Abbe-II and 2x Abbe barlow (200x) and 7mm TS Planetary HR (143x)

Date: 7th January 2009, ~10.30-11.30pm (11.4 day-old moon - waxing gibbous)

Andrew

"...according to VMA requires a 300mm instrument to resolve." Excellent! :thumbright: In addition to Rimae Mersenius, you got Rupes Liebig, and I'm pretty sure that's a trace of Rima Doppelmayer near the parent crater. Oh btw, when you can't finish a sketch for whatever reason, just do what I do and call it a 'study'... makes it sound like it's supposed to be unfinished. :D:hello2:

That's a good tip, Carol :hello2:

Oh, I searched for Mare Humorum on SGL and thought your description of the rilles as waves lapping the shore was very appropriate - precisely what it looks like :D

I'd always thought the wrinkle ridges in Mare Humorum looked like waves slowly rolling towards a shore

Andrew

Thanks! :D

A sketch isn't a complete waste if you notice a very interesting feature. In this case, that Rille, lookinging so fine and difficult to resolve, made it very appealing to sketch so I could identify it later. It gave me a good feeling because it WAS difficult to resolve and I managed it :hello2:

In this case, that Rille, lookinging so fine and difficult to resolve, made it very appealing to sketch so I could identify it later. It gave me a good feeling because it WAS difficult to resolve and I managed it :D

So yes, of COURSE it was just a "study" :hello2:

Archived