Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

pblackwell

is there a best filter to use to view comet Neowise? 

Hi all,

is there a best filter to use to view comet Neowise? 

Many thanks!

Paul

The only filter that maybe useful is a light pollution filter to assist with seeing the tail but I’m not aware of any other filter that will assist as a comet is just a point of light similar to a star. Someone else may disagree 

That’s what I thought. Not a big window to see it where I am so don’t want waste time trying different ones.

ill go filterless and will also try my light pollution ones.

thanks for your reply 👍🏻

I've used a cheap M&SG filter to cut sunset haze a little bit to detect other horizon hugging comets in the past.

Besides the obvious Swan bands, NEOWISE is showing a very bright emission of Sodium (Na) at 5890 A. Any filter which enhances the transmission in the wavelength should help.

(the attached annotated spectrum, based on an excellent spectrum from C Buil may help)

Comet NEOWISE (C Buil) annotated.jpg

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Anthony RS
      Selling the Astronomik 12nm clip in Ha filter for 120€. Bought it for 270 usd including vat, customs and shipping so it's a really good price.

The filter is still in excellent condition, used only twice. No fingerprints, no scratches not even dust (image attached).

I will also handle the shipping through my post office without cost. If another shipping method is requested, then we'll have to to discuss the price.

Contact me if interested.

Clear Skies,
      Anthony

• By Anthony RS
      Selling the filter for 70€ . Original price around 230$ (including shipping, vat and customs).

The filter is in excellent condition, used only 3 times. No fingerprints, no scratches no dust (image attached).

I will also handle the shipping through my post office without cost. If another shipping method is requested, then we'll have to to discuss the price.
      Contact me if interested.

Clear Skies,
      Anthony

• By astrosathya
      Finally I processed the Comet Neowise captured from Bangalore.
      Simple Set-up:
      Canon80D, Sigma 70-300 DG APOII @100mm F/4.
      ISO2000, 50x5s
      Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
      Processed in Pixinsight.
      Lots of noise as I wanted to pull out both tails

• By Stargazer33
      Taken from our back garden at about midnight Friday 17/Saturday 18.
      EQUIPMENT:  Canon 1100D modified by Juan Fierros at Cheap Astrophotography, Canon 70-210mm f4 EF lens @ 140mm, Hoya HMC UV(c) filter, CLS EOS clip-in filter, Static tripod (Slick88).
      11 x 4" frames manually stacked in PS CS4 using a new Exclusion layer for each stacked frame. Then levels; curves; Exposure; Filter - HLVG; Filter - Gaussian Blur; Hue/Saturation;  Colour Balance; Channel Mixer, to name but a few!
      I had to do a manual stack as DSS didn't seem to be able to recognise the stars, reporting back that only one frame would be stacked?

• By pblackwell
      Hi folks,
      Do you do long or short exposure to take a picture of the comet?
      Plesse advise what I should set my Cannon EOS to (its an ancient camera)
      I will connect to my celstron SCT 9.5” or is that too much magnification?
      many thanks!
      Paul

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.