Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to capture comet Neowise - long or short exposure?

Hi folks,

Do you do long or short exposure to take a picture of the comet?

Plesse advise what I should set my Cannon EOS to (its an ancient camera)

I will connect to my celstron SCT 9.5” or is that too much magnification?

many thanks!

Paul

I think it'll be too much magnification. The folks who've imaged it in our local soc have either used DLSR's with lenses & either single frames or on a tracking mount - or smart phones attached to binoculars..

It is quite bright (naked eye visible) and large, pretty much fills the view in 8x42 bins / 102mm refractor.

I haven't managed to take any proper pics of it, other than with a Compact digital (non DLSR) on a fixed tripod. This is a 5 sec exposure from back garden early Sat. morning along with some Noctilucent clouds.

Cheers
Ivor

a few mins ago.jpg

33 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

I think it'll be too much magnification. The folks who've imaged it in our local soc have either used DLSR's with lenses & either single frames or on a tracking mount - or smart phones attached to binoculars..

It is quite bright (naked eye visible) and large, pretty much fills the view in 8x42 bins / 102mm refractor.

I haven't managed to take any proper pics of it, other than with a Compact digital (non DLSR) on a fixed tripod. This is a 5 sec exposure from back garden early Sat. morning along with some Noctilucent clouds.

Cheers
Ivor

a few mins ago.jpg

Ok thanks. I thought it might be. I’ll also prep my smaller explorer 130m and attach camera to that.

So about 5 sec exposure? I’ll try 4,5 and 6 secs exposure and see how I get on.

the camera is so old it doesn’t even have live view so need to look Through the tiny  5/6mm eye viewer which is dam hard! ...you don’t even know if things are in focus lol!🙈

thanks for your reply it was helpful.

paul

I took this last night - that's 70mm 5 seconds at ISO 1600 around midnight. The only crop on it is to make it a square image - so full height, width cut slightly. This is just a basic JPEG- the RAW file is 40mb. I reckon the tail is at least 5 degrees long3BAED150-9685-4D57-98BB-DEA52D09EA13.thumb.jpeg.9e4e856d61c5aef5d3ea2736c59d18fc.jpeg 

Edited by Tenor Viol

25 minutes ago, Tenor Viol said:

I took this last night - that's 70mm 5 seconds at ISO 1600 around midnight. The only crop on it is to make it a square image - so full height, width cut slightly. This is just a basic JPEG- the RAW file is 40mb. I reckon the tail is at least 5 degrees long3BAED150-9685-4D57-98BB-DEA52D09EA13.thumb.jpeg.9e4e856d61c5aef5d3ea2736c59d18fc.jpeg 

Thanks fo sharing the settings. What a great location to observe!....unlike my back garden when it comes into view around 2am for about 20mins before going behind a tree for an hour!

There’s a hill near me but I wouldn’t want to go there alone at 1am that’s the problem 😬

do you think I should bother attaching my camera to the telescope? I’m not sure what mm lenses they are (my sister gave it to me it’s so old)

One lense is about halve a “ , the other lense is about 2-3”s

?

• 2 weeks later...

Those are great pics. I managed to find a darkish site the other night at least darker than Bristol) and took a number of shots with a 135mm lens. I now need to process these in Photoshop. I am something of a beginner to all of this and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on what steps to take when processing?

With some clouds about I managed 40 x 60 seconds at ISO-800 with a 55mm prime lens on my Canon DSLR.  I used a driven mount so I did not have to worry about guiding since my exposures were short. 

This was stacked and processed with Astro Art7.   Tonight I plan to use about 100 x 30" at ISO-800 to reduce the noise some.

C2020F3-AvgStk2-crop-GR-DN-CB-Sat-STR-small-2-LBL.jpg

Edited by CCD-Freak

Here is one from a couple nights earlier.  40 x 60 seconds at ISO-1600 and no clouds.  Canon "Kit lens" at 85mm.

Stacked and processed with Astro Art 7.  The clear sky made a great deal of difference.

C2020F3-Cal-AVG-LogStr-DN-CB-Sat-small-1-LBL.jpg

Edited by CCD-Freak