SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How low to the horizon?

edarter

Hi, 

Well after many discussions with the better half about a self build observatory I've decided that before a final decision is made I really need to cost it all out and settle on a location in the garden. If it wasnt for out neighbours Leilandii trees I would have an ideal spot, but the trees massively restrict the view to the north west. With little / no chance of the trees going any time soon I'm looking at other locations, all of which come with compromises. The biggest of which is obstructed views down towards the horizon. In practical terms though, how low to the horizon do you guys image before atmospherics etc start to make too big an impact? 

In my 'plan B' spot I reckon I'm OK down to about 25 degrees off the horizon. 

Thanks

Ed

Tbh it's an estimate using a spirit level app on my phone and looking west from the approximate height I would have a pier set to. To the North, south and east I could get lower other than where the trees are to the north west. 

Edited by edarter

My horizon is about 15 degrees to the south and east, up to 25 degrees to the west, and North over the house I can only just see Polaris.

Being obstructed to the NW is your equivalent to my view north, so if the horizons are good everywhere else, I'd say that's the best compromise.

Michael