Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two more NEOWISE stacks from last night, with more detail showing

I re-stacked the data with the 50-100 mm zoom with flats, bias and darks, and got a clearly better result, I feel

NEOWISE100mmstack270sCalib.thumb.jpg.0478ee673ad435d621c2b1ed471f78ac.jpg

I also stacked just 10 of the long sequence of images I took with the 200 mm F/2.8 (30s, F/2.8, ISO 200)

NEOWISE200mmstack300sCal.thumb.jpg.70d478a2e661f13edaff7377c8f8afd0.jpg

Quite a bit of detail coming out. These were stacked in Astro Pixel Processor, with some tweaks with GIMP. Both show signs the ion tail has two different colours showing: blueish on the right and orange on the right.

I don't think I can stack more images in APP without incurring motion blur of the comet, so will give DSS a spin. That may take a while, because of the need of manually labelling the comet location in a HUGE number of files.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I re-stacked the data with the 50-100 mm zoom with flats, bias and darks, and got a clearly better result, I feel

NEOWISE100mmstack270sCalib.thumb.jpg.0478ee673ad435d621c2b1ed471f78ac.jpg

I also stacked just 10 of the long sequence of images I took with the 200 mm F/2.8 (30s, F/2.8, ISO 200)

NEOWISE200mmstack300sCal.thumb.jpg.70d478a2e661f13edaff7377c8f8afd0.jpg

Quite a bit of detail coming out. These were stacked in Astro Pixel Processor, with some tweaks with GIMP. Both show signs the ion tail has two different colours showing: blueish on the right and orange on the right.

I don't think I can stack more images in APP without incurring motion blur of the comet, so will give DSS a spin. That may take a while, because of the need of manually labelling the comet location in a HUGE number of files.

Wow and double wow. I like both pictures.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2020 at 12:42, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

You might find it quite quick as your data is probably clean so the comet centre is easily marked and saved.

Lovely detail above

These are simply short enough stacks that avoid visible comet motion. 

That's what I did with mine for this comet.  

Stunning gas tail as well as the dust tail, well done.  

Carole 

• Like 1