Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I think i'm ready for another scope, but do i upgrade or compliment

Afternoon all,

I have this growing itch, in my mind, i think i want to scratch at it and look at getting another frac.. so this is one of those "what would you do threads" do i compliment what i already have leaving me with two scope, for theoretically different observing or replace the one i have for better optics..

My current scope is an altair 102 f11 achro, and i am very, very happy with it.. I know given the right atmospheric conditions that this scope is no slouch at all, but it is my only scope, and with that FL is better suited to solar system work, and brighter PN's etc.

My thoughts are turned towards a 150mm frac, probably the F5.9 variants, to get me a bit deeper and wider.  Other equipment wise, i have a heavy duty Alt-Az mount, and vixen GP so im covered, wide EP's I've a 24/68 ExSci, and a 17.3TVD, only have 1.25mm filters so not overly interested (yet) in 2" EP's

Sense would say, compliment the F11 with a faster larger scope..

BUT this little voice on my shoulder keeps saying upgrade the f11 to a better 100mm, like the fpl53 F7 starwave, which is quite appealing as i've been happy with one scope for a few years, so why not just get a better one, and keep on being satisfied..

I've thought about a Dob, or Mak/SCT, but i'm a frac man and I've put a bit of time money and effort in to the Alt-Az set up with my mind on a bigger frac, to that end my options would be

1, compliment to existing frac with another rich field 150mm sort

2, Sell the sky-tee and current frac, and put towards a higher spec, 100mm ish f7 frac.

3, the last option and one not to tell the wife, is to do both, keeping the skytee..  maybe sell the f11, and get a 150mm and fpl 51 100mm f7 doublet.

Whats others thoughts on this please..

Thanks

Fozzie

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Is the GP really up to a 150 mm Frac though?

I'd like to think it is.. infact im sure it is..   but i need to treat those motors with some respect to their service years..  The skytee is for the bigger frac...  it'll only go if i decide to stay with one scope, upgrading to a better 100mm

• Like 1

What sort of targets are of interest to you going forward?

Sites like this are really useful for modeling future and current equipment on different targets given the eyepieces or cameras you have (note when you click Add to View you can add lots of different combinations to the image at the bottom and compare). The database of telescopes, eyepieces and cameras is very comprehensive. When ever I've thought about new scopes I've modeled the field of view to see if it works for objects i'm interested in.

Edited by 7170
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I'd like to think it is.. infact im sure it is..   but i need to treat those motors with some respect to their service years..  The skytee is for the bigger frac...  it'll only go if i decide to stay with one scope, upgrading to a better 100mm

I would be nervous with a 6" frac on a GP mount, even at f5.9 that is quite a lump and tortional? load.
I have desires on a 6" one day too and am pondering the mount going forward, hence my comment.

Would suggest you have a look at a f5.9 frac as well in the metal, it is larger than it looks online, it truly is.

I would also add that as great as the f11 achro is, perhaps a higher glass type 4" would surprise you,
My Vixen ED103s shows an awful lot and has very good control of focus.
The hallowed Takahashi FC series might be an answer and fit that GP mount well.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I would be nervous with a 6" frac on a GP mount, even at f5.9 that is quite a lump and tortional? load.
I have desires on a 6" one day too and am pondering the mount going forward, hence my comment.

Would suggest you have a look at a f5.9 frac as well in the metal, it is larger than it looks online, it truly is.

I would also add that as great as the f11 achro is, perhaps a higher glass type 4" would surprise you,
My Vixen ED103s shows an awful lot and has very good control of focus.
The hallowed Takahashi FC series might be an answer and fit that GP mount well.

Oh i absolutely wouldn't put a 6" on the GP (i am just sure she can take it)!  I had a 200p on the skytee for a while so im thinking the 6" frac is going to be a similar beast.

As hallowed as a Tak would be, if i go high end, my hearts set on the vixen SD115, but that's dreamland as i'm not spending that much, this time round, even if i cash in the skytee and f11 as a deposit... so to speak!

You can see the problem though.. i know high end (well middle end) might be the ticket, but would that compensate for aperture in the end..

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I had a 6” f/5.9 and it is indded a heavy lump. OK on the Skytee biut near it’s max load with accessories. Excelkent for low and medium power widefield.

B2FF7D90-9026-4BC8-B8A0-53348A00C4AD.jpeg

puts some perspective on it doesn't it!

• Like 2

CA wasn’t a problem at low and medium power which surprised me a bit given it’s short focal length. Yes there is some but not enough to be a problem. 

One scope I wish I hadn’t sold. 🙁

Pretty good for white light solar although the wedge did get a bit hot.

1C372FFA-25DF-4363-AD93-258ED74222DD.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Putting perspective on it, as I have done for myself.
I have noted almost all who have had a f5.9 achro although delighted at the time have sold them on.
To me that puts a perspective on it as well.

Well excepting John who just posted as I was typing, typical.

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Putting perspective on it, as I have done for myself.
I have noted almost all who have had a f5.9 achro although delighted at the time have sold them on.
To me that puts a perspective on it as well.

Well excepting John who just posted as I was typing, typical.

It's a fair point.. but then the classifieds aren't littered with them... 

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I really liked the scope but I think it was the fact it was a heavy lump mean’t it didn’t get used a lot. Think that was why I sold it on. 

I think that could be just the reason.. what 9kg or something...

May be an upgrade 100mm and a 120F5 is a better combo..  Don't want to go down the space heater route. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

It's a fair point.. but then the classifieds aren't littered with them... 

I think they are a niche scope, I would not think many are sold.
I have seen several users on here put them up for sale and others on AB&S.

Why not go the whole hog and get an ED150, you know you want too 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I have, and i quite like the look of altair's fpl51 version...  but then would the 102mm fpl 53, at £100 cheaper be a match for better optics against 16% more light grasp

15 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

@Fozzie

Have you considered the SW 120ED ?

I have, of course, family favourite, does the job, well and simple... but for some reason i prefer a white tube, so these don't stick with me... fine scope as they are! ( @Alan White don't say i can wrap it in sticky white dc fix!)

17 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Why not go the whole hog and get an ED150, you know you want too 

You rascal, you.

• Haha 1

I would go with your option 2. For me, I think It would quickly become a chore having to take two scopes outside if I wanted to do low and high power observing. A 100mm F/7 refractor would be good as your only scope, unless of course you want a bit more aperture than you currently have. 😀

• Thanks 1

hi fozzie  how you doing? i have the altair  102ed f/7 ,  we should meet up and you would be able to compare the 100 against the altaire. it will be great to see the f/11 achro again. john.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I have, of course, family favourite, does the job, well and simple... but for some reason i prefer a white tube, so these don't stick with me... fine scope as they are! ( @Alan White don't say i can wrap it in sticky white dc fix!)

You rascal, you.

So you watched blue Peter as well did you?

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, dobbie said:

hi fozzie  how you doing? i have the altair  102ed f/7 ,  we should meet up and you would be able to compare the 100 against the altaire. it will be great to see the f/11 achro again. john.

Hi Dobbie, all well thank you, yourself?  I'd forgotten you had the F7 ED, sounds like a plan for a meet up.. whats your thoughts on the comparison..  I'll be honest i had a 72mm ed altair scope a while back and it worried me at the time, how nice it was..  that was fpl 51 (or equivelent) i think... so i suspect that the fpl53 is a great scope..

Seems crazy to me to let the colour of a scope get in the way of an absolutely superb option but there you go :dontknow:

My ED120 is a wonderful refractor and compares well against my Tak and my TMB/LZOS 130 triplet which of course cost considerably more.

Hope you find something the right colour soon :smiley:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1