Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Pro + Rowan Upgrade ordered

I did it, after so much thinking and consideration I've just ordered the Sky Watcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Upgrade from FLO. I feel better now, until the bank statement arrives ;)

As a beginner with a cheap scope this has been a hard purchase. Should I buy a nicer scope on my cheap mount, or put my cheap scope on a good mount. In the end I decided to work from the ground up, build on a solid base. I really wanted something motorised with tracking, I could have sorted out a motor for the cheap mount but this just felt like bodging stuff on. The existing tripod is wobbly and everything feels a little 'cheap' (but still good for the price).

The GoTo features should be fun, although I still want to learn the star hopping and discover objects myself, sometimes I'll just want to go and look. The tracking will help me get into the imaging and processing side of things and discover the benefits and flaws of my existing scope. 

After looking at Youtube and listening to those motors I felt the Rowan belt upgrade was worth it, hopefully it will also make it a more desirable sale if this hobby doesn't work out in the coming months / years.

I suspect it may be larger and more cumbersome than I imagine, but I could do with a work out here and there.

• Solid mount
  • Lots of users and good reviews
  • All the features I need
  • Can handle the weight of everything I intend to put on it (I hope)
  • Good resale value for a quick exit strategy

Also added a Celestron / Skywatcher power tank, 7ah.

7-10 day delivery time, I'm going to be checking everyday waiting for that Dispatched notice.

Thanks for all the tips and advice I got here about mounts. 👍 🎉

8 hours ago, nfotis said:

Didn't see the previous discussion, but I wonder why you didn't select the NEQ6 mount instead?

I think that the price is quite near the HEQ5+Rowan belt upgrade?

I guess even quite near the price is still more, I have to draw a line somewhere. And from what I read it's bigger, heavier, has a larger payload but I don't think I will need that. And it's all getting quite complicated with tweaks and differences here and there. But the HEQ5 seemed to fit my requirements. 

I'd be interested to know why you think that would be a better mount?

Edited by matthasboldlygone

I am still thinking about the HEQ5 Pro version, I haven't took the plunge yet.

Agree about the higher weight of the NEQ6 being a problem for carrying.

Enjoy your new mount,

N.F.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nfotis said:

I am still thinking about the HEQ5 Pro version, I haven't took the plunge yet.

Agree about the higher weight of the NEQ6 being a problem for carrying.

Enjoy your new mount,

I'll post some comments on Monday from a beginner perspective, see how moveable it is in real life etc. It's a big plunge :)

18 hours ago, matthasboldlygone said:

Should I buy a nicer scope on my cheap mount, or put my cheap scope on a good mount.

Sometimes rephrasing the question helps. If you say this instead, does it help?

Should I buy a nicer scope on my cheap mount, or put my first scope on a good mount.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pete_l said:

Sometimes rephrasing the question helps. If you say this instead, does it help?

Should I buy a nicer scope on my cheap mount, or put my first scope on a good mount.

It's ground up for a very good reason

• Like 1

It arrived on schedule by DHL. All packaged very well, no problems. I've put it all together and it is a bit of a beast to move around. The counter weight is heavier than my complete eq3 mount. But it is much sturdier. Just have to be careful moving it around, remember to put on my hernia support belt :). Luckily my patio doors open full width so I should be able to move it in and out ok, maybe without the counter weight.

IMG_20200713_135123.thumb.jpg.74b3e4585bb53ff246352e213de5ddb7.jpg

Tonights challenge, weather allowing :

• Get it outside on to the patio and level it.
  • Try a basic polar alignment.
  • Move it around to a bright star with the handset manual controls and see what the tracking is like.
  • Fiddle with polar alignment.
  • If I can get a 2 minute video of Jupiter remaining in shot I'll be very happy.

🙏

You would also put unnecessary strain onto the mount if you left the counterweight on whilst moving it in and out.

My advice (FWIW) would be to move the mount about without counterweights or scope. It is light enough to move that way without mishap.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

When you get happy with the scope location, it will help to put some marks on the ground where the tripod stands to help get the same orientation when setting out.  On my patio I used a drill to put some indents in, I had the same on my decking but it was more sensitive to movement on there. I found it helped a lot... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jiberjaber said:

When you get happy with the scope location, it will help to put some marks on the ground where the tripod stands to help get the same orientation when setting out.  On my patio I used a drill to put some indents in, I had the same on my decking but it was more sensitive to movement on there. I found it helped a lot... 

Good tip, but I do have to move it around a bit as things disappear behind trees. I've embedded some bricks into the grass already.

I keep looking at my garage roof, seems like a lot of wasted space and above some of the trees, could be a nice permanent tripod spot.

👍

• Like 1

I have painted green dots on the ground that aren't easily viewable by non astronomers/imagers. I don't think I would image from a wooden deck with the vibrations and potential for rocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I managed a Polar Alignment (of sorts) and a 2 star alignment (of sorts). It didn't place targets in the middle of the view but they seemed close. Trees and clouds in the way most of the night, but getting the hang of it I think. This is definitely not a click and go mount, still lots to do and think about.

But I did have fun stumbling around in the garden. Dew stopped play again at about 1:00am.

I think this is Andromeda galaxy, 20 second exposure, but it could just be a smudge on the lens, or something completely different. :) 

0019.thumb.jpg.70ffa3f4072f77d1f0d42708eea94b1a.jpg