Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar disk 09 07 2020

tooth_dr

This was taken around lunch time today, using a 60mm lunt with a 290MM camera at the native FL of 500mm.  I recently installed a small SSD to my PC, so even with USB2 I was still getting 20FPS at full size.  Prior to installing the SDD, the old HDD would not even run the camera at full resolution, and I had to crop to 800x800 ROI to get it even recording at all.

This was also my first outing with my Lunt external pressure tuner - and it is really something else.  It worked perfectly, and allowed me to fine tune the solar surface to eliminate the bright spot I normally get.  In addition I was able to tune in the proms and recorded these in the same video as the surface.  These were 60s videos, so around 1200 frames recorded and I stacked the best 10%.  Gamma was set to off, and gain was set to zero.  The camera is very sensitive and it was recording at a 2.5ms.    There is still a slight broad vertical lined pattern visible, is this NRs?  I use a tilt adapter maybe it needs tweaked a bit?   I tried different mosaic software, this was the best result, just using PS itself.

C+C welcome.

solar-disk-09-07-20-coloured.thumb.jpg.ec1363cdac891c1636bf201db4376c0e.jpg

solar-disk-09-07-20.thumb.jpg.04defd5cec2471ea8ee3e4a2da1ca75f.jpg

solar-disk-09-07-20-inverted.thumb.jpg.4abb98cb1338f693eb9251f52fb6f044.jpg

solar-disk-09-07-20-ruler.thumb.jpg.c099104f8e667e1694cf22a1d2c17b70.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 14

Phoar!!..  Had to put the sunglasses on for the first one.   I might just sit in front of it for my daily dose of Vitamin D.

... and that last one ..... are you using a Solar Periscope ??......   I'm expecting the Graf Spee to sail across at any moment !!

Good work though.   I'm new to the finer points of Solar imaging and look at these with a sense of awe (and envy).

Sean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments 👍🏼
@vineyard this is just the single stack pressure tuned model.

I’ve attached a photo of the external tuner mounted on a wee shelf that I found in the garage.  I’ve the hose run along with some wiring under the ground and up the inside of the pier, so far so good.  I’m waiting on a bracket for my AF3 focuser, then I can image completely remotely.

ADA307D0-4A18-405C-BA5A-91AFF41D12AE.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Is it my screen or do I get some horizontal banding??

I don’t think it’s your screen. There’s a vertical banding for sure.  Processing/stacking artefact? NRs? 

5 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

I seem to get one slight horizontal band, maybe equator area.

That’ll be the join! Sorry best I could do, it’s a 2 panel mosaic. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thank you all for the comments 👍🏼
@vineyard this is just the single stack pressure tuned model.

I’ve attached a photo of the external tuner mounted on a wee shelf that I found in the garage.  I’ve the hose run along with some wiring under the ground and up the inside of the pier, so far so good.  I’m waiting on a bracket for my AF3 focuser, then I can image completely remotely.

I see you still have that box connected via USB, even given it's right beside you :D

What pressure do you need to get details. I seem to vary between 12.5psi on one day and 18.3 another!

My logs suggest I've used mine for around 25 hours over the last year and a bit, and it's leaking somewhere. Lunt are helping, but we're not getting anywhere with a solution. The inside of the box is enlightening - and I still don't know where the money goes - it's really 'just' a glorified car-tyre pump, and I have one of those for 50 quid or so.....(though you still need the extra bit to the etalon chamber).

p.s. If you want to see what's inside, I can drop a photo or two....

40 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Have you tried a T2 tilter?

I have NR issues with both my ASI 174 and ASI 1600MM.

I’m actually using a T2 tilter, the Newtons rings were bad without it. Maybe it’s a processing artefact from AS!2. I tried both, as it wouldnt stack properly with 3.  Is there any way to test if NRs are the cause?

1 hour ago, Altocumulus said:

I see you still have that box connected via USB, even given it's right beside you :D

What pressure do you need to get details. I seem to vary between 12.5psi on one day and 18.3 another!

My logs suggest I've used mine for around 25 hours over the last year and a bit, and it's leaking somewhere. Lunt are helping, but we're not getting anywhere with a solution. The inside of the box is enlightening - and I still don't know where the money goes - it's really 'just' a glorified car-tyre pump, and I have one of those for 50 quid or so.....(though you still need the extra bit to the etalon chamber).

p.s. If you want to see what's inside, I can drop a photo or two....

Yes indeed, handy having it close by but easier remotely operated via PC!

I read about the internals of the item, I guess its a case of being greater than the sum of its parts!

I havent had much time to test time, this was just a few minutes, but I had it at 12.5psi.  I read people using it around 17psi.  This was my first day so I havent any other days to compare it to.  I will post updates though.  I expect it to be the same pressure each day according to Lunt and the product spec.  I would be disappointed if it wasnt TBH.

Please post a photo or PM me, I would love to see inside it.

Here goes....

The pump and piping is inside a heavy steel(?) box attached to the base of the outer box.

Blue is the pump.

Green the rechargeable battery

White is an air cyclinder

The bit hanging out the top contains a valve that is primed by a spring - somehow. The 'leak' if I have one is within this area - Lunt say

they've had 'problems' with the spring in the past - just stretch it [ but that didn't cure my particular issue ].

Inside.jpg

• Thanks 1

There were DIY instructions to build your own version in an issue of S@N magazine a few months ago, may look it out and have a go, as you say the parts don't amount to much.

Dave

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

There were DIY instructions to build your own version in an issue of S@N magazine a few months ago, may look it out and have a go, as you say the parts don't amount to much.

Dave

I think I would be a bit miffed to pay full price for one.  Have you a link to that one?  I tried to search for it on google but couldnt find it.

40 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I think I would be a bit miffed to pay full price for one.  Have you a link to that one?  I tried to search for it on google but couldnt find it.

I'll have a root through some back issues and find it at lunch time.

Dave

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Glad to hear the tuner is delivering!. It’s a very nice accessory - though far too expensive new. Really superb images considering single stack!

Thanks Mark. Sorry I thought had sent you a message about receiving it!  All perfect as expected 👍🏻👍🏻

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Had a look back to 2017, maybe it was longer ago than I remember, time flies when you're getting old, don't think it was in AN will look through a few more, I'm sure I didn't imagine it 😂

Dave

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I’m actually using a T2 tilter, the Newtons rings were bad without it. Maybe it’s a processing artefact from AS!2. I tried both, as it wouldnt stack properly with 3.  Is there any way to test if NRs are the cause?

In my limited experience, I think there are only two sources of "banding" in solar imaging.

The major one is Newton Rings caused by the thin (fixed) cover plate on the sensor chip. This is aggravated by the use of barlows/ powermates. The higher the focal ratio the more difficult the problem. The tried and proven "solution" is the T2 tilter. This effectively changes the sensor glass/ chip gap thereby increasing the gap and reducing NR. I measured some tilts I used....up to 1.4 degrees

The other is said to be electronic interference. The USB connection v's local power connections? Don't know exactly as I've never had any real experience.

Processing in AS3! and ImPPG/ Registax doesn't appear to cause NR, but I suppose it could enhance the low contrast bands.......