Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pixinsight Alignment when adding new data

Several years ago I took a large number of images on itelescope, I have aligned and integrated them etc

Now I want to add more data from the same telescope but the camera has changed slightly or at least the image is inverted.

Do I have to go through the whole alignment process again with every single image file or is there an easy way to do it.

In general, if it were more data from the same camera would the answer be the same, eg if I were just adding 2 or 3 image files taken a week apart for example?

Open up an original image, then take some short subs tweaking the camera orientation till they are as close a match as possible.

Or invert an original image and line it up to that.

Not sure if you have to re-stack the whole lot or if you can combine stacked and new subs in PI. Or maybe two stacked sets. Worth trying, might be a Pixelmath thing.

Pixinsight's "StarAlignment" process will cope with images from different days & orientations (eg flipped 180 deg), or if some subs are binned and others aren't. It is however best to only run StarAlignment once & then to integrate the subs.

If need be you can manually align individual images using the DynamicAlignment tool, or run StarAlignment on your new subs using the same Reference image as you used originally.

Cheers
Ivor

36 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Open up an original image, then take some short subs tweaking the camera orientation till they are as close a match as possible.

Or invert an original image and line it up to that.

Not sure if you have to re-stack the whole lot or if you can combine stacked and new subs in PI. Or maybe two stacked sets. Worth trying, might be a Pixelmath thing.

Think the OP had taken images on iTelescope so can't orientate the camera.

If you remember the original reference sub used for your initial alignment, then you would only need to use that for any new subs. Or use one of the registered files for the new files. So no, you shouldn't need to align everything again.

Cool, thanks  for the tips, I can manually rotate the images no problem. The issue was that I had about 200 image files and I was adding more, I didn't want to keep going through the whole realignment every time I added half a dozen new files

The following is new 10 min Ha, got a new set of RGB to do yet

snap1.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2020 at 17:46, billhinge said:

Several years ago I took a large number of images on itelescope, I have aligned and integrated them etc

Now I want to add more data from the same telescope but the camera has changed slightly or at least the image is inverted.

Do I have to go through the whole alignment process again with every single image file or is there an easy way to do it.

In general, if it were more data from the same camera would the answer be the same, eg if I were just adding 2 or 3 image files taken a week apart for example?

If you end up with an integrated image that you are not happy with, you could also try realigning all the subs again but this time with the frame adaption option checked in the Star Alignment process.  This option makes PI perform a linear fit of individual sub frame with respect to the reference frame.  This option is recommended if you have large intensity variations from the different data sets.  These intensity variations might come from a different camera, different camera angle etc. 

Edited by alan4908