Narrowband

A quick M27, The Dumbbell Nebula.

Taman

Taken on Monday. The sky was washed out by the nearly full moon, so I wasn't expecting to get anything at all.

This actually took longer to process than taking the images, so  I'm amazed how much I got for just 80 minutes exposure time. 

20 x 240s, with darks, flats and dark flats.

Taken at f6.3 with the ASI294MC Pro (temp -12C, gain 126) and Optolong L-Pro filter.

m27.jpg

• Like 13

You have some fine filamentary detail in there.   Really nice considering the full Moon.

Optolong seem to produce some good filters.  I have the L-enhance and it certainly has opened up possibilities for my old QHY8pro  OSC.

Sean.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craney said:

You have some fine filamentary detail in there.   Really nice considering the full Moon.

Optolong seem to produce some good filters.  I have the L-enhance and it certainly has opened up possibilities for my old QHY8pro  OSC.

Sean.

Thanks Sean.

The Optolong has really improved my images. I always said I would never use a light pollution filter, but this is staying on permanently! 😀

Tony.

Edited by Taman

10 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Excellent image, some really nice detail showing.

Thanks MarkAR. 

I'm now wondering what 3 or 4 hours worth in a dark sky would look like. I may have another go later in the year.

Tony.

Edited by Taman
  • Like 1

Well I know you get slightly longer nights down there in Jersey but with a full moon and a lack of astronomical darkness you've done exceptionally well.

For me the background is a tad too dark - maybe that's the compromise for shooting in those conditions - but it is still an outstanding result all things considered.

Well done!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, x6gas said:

Well I know you get slightly longer nights down there in Jersey but with a full moon and a lack of astronomical darkness you've done exceptionally well.

For me the background is a tad too dark - maybe that's the compromise for shooting in those conditions - but it is still an outstanding result all things considered.

Well done!

Thanks for the comments. Yes, conditions are a bit strange at the moment. I did wonder whether it was worth opening the observatory especially as I don't shoot narrowband.

You're not the only one who has mentioned dark backgrounds in my images. I generally set the black point levels to 20 in Photoshop, perhaps they should be higher? 

Tony.

Edited by Taman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taman said:

You're not the only one who has mentioned dark backgrounds in my images. I generally set the black point levels to 20 in Photoshop, perhaps they should be higher? 

Tony.

Hmmm.  Well many of the really top-notch deep sky imagers would recommend 23/23/23 - I recall first seeing Olly Penrice recommend that and in my view what he doesn't know about imaging isn't worth knowing - and Steve Richards recommends the same.  But I'm surprised that 20 looks so dark to my eye (that said I have just started calibrating my monitors and it does make things darker generally...)  I personally tend to leave mine a bit lighter still - somewhere between 25 and 27 often - but if you're happy then leave it where it is.  Your image, your rules after all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, x6gas said:

Hmmm.  Well many of the really top-notch deep sky imagers would recommend 23/23/23 - I recall first seeing Olly Penrice recommend that and in my view what he doesn't know about imaging isn't worth knowing - and Steve Richards recommends the same.  But I'm surprised that 20 looks so dark to my eye (that said I have just started calibrating my monitors and it does make things darker generally...)  I personally tend to leave mine a bit lighter still - somewhere between 25 and 27 often - but if you're happy then leave it where it is.  Your image, your rules after all!

Thanks for the info x6gas, I'll give the magic number 23 a go! 😀 

Shame that Photoshop (CS6) no longer includes the screen calibration utility, but I've just found out how to do it in Windows 10.

You're right, the background is a bit dark!

Tony.

Edited by Taman