Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Checking my facts - refractors, doublets and triplets

1 minute ago, x6gas said:

Oh don't spoil our fun!

You're lucky, there's no close topic button :)

I guess what I want is to see everything, take some quick pics (without hours of processing), let others peer through the eyepiece at a large crystal clear view of Mars, see galaxies and nebula and generally have fun. In reality that isn't going to happen...

Taking images is definitely high on the list, and I've now come to accept they will take processing.  Not professional level, just something nice to share with friends.

Seeing through the eye piece, some deep sky goodness, nice Jupiter, Saturn and Moon views. But from looking around I guess everyone gets that hazy wobbly atmosphere even with the best equipment.

Quick and easy setup is important I think. So I am leaning towards a good refractor, maybe an ED if I can stretch the budget.

1 minute ago, matthasboldlygone said:

You're lucky, there's no close topic button :)

I guess what I want is to see everything, take some quick pics (without hours of processing), let others peer through the eyepiece at a large crystal clear view of Mars, see galaxies and nebula and generally have fun. In reality that isn't going to happen...

Taking images is definitely high on the list, and I've now come to accept they will take processing.  Not professional level, just something nice to share with friends.

Seeing through the eye piece, some deep sky goodness, nice Jupiter, Saturn and Moon views. But from looking around I guess everyone gets that hazy wobbly atmosphere even with the best equipment.

Quick and easy setup is important I think. So I am leaning towards a good refractor, maybe an ED if I can stretch the budget.

Oh, ok. You want all that. Here my tip then. Answer Louis's questions :)

• John locked this topic