Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just bought an OVNI-M!

I've just taken the plunge and bought an OVNI-M.

I'd like to start by thanking all on Stargazers Lounge for the useful information they've posted on night vision; this has helped no end in deciding what to buy.  Plus a special thanks to Gavin (Gavster) for his PMs.  Further thanks goes to Johnathan (Joko) for setting up ONVI so that those of us outside the US can get NV gear specially chosen for astronomy, and his UK agent Rupert at Astrograph who was most helpful.

Because Astrograph had what I wanted in stock (a white tube with a 2100+ FOM) I ordered from them.  Their package deal comes with a case and a filter holder.  Rupert is going to drop it off tomorrow to my son who lives near him, and then I'll meet up with the family as soon as possible.

I'm just about to order a smartphone adaptor, an afocal adaptor plus a 7nm H-alpha filter from OVNI to get me started.

What other filters and other items would you guys recommend?  I'm in a Bortle 4 green zone and will be using the OVNI with 10 inch f/4.8 and 8 inch f/6 Dobs, a 60mm f/3.8 Versascope and various camera lenses.  I'll possibly add a fast 72mm FPL53 ED refractor before long.  Obviously I'd like to get filters for nebulae, plus I'm also interested in open/globular clusters.

Many thanks.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 3

Steve,

Congrats on your purchases :) You won’t be disappointed with your 2100 FOM setup that’s for sure!

1. Get a Televue 55mm plossl and the new Televue 67mm converter (fits inside the 55mm plossl ) - that they designed for night vision users - ordered then you are good to go...
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=36

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/711777-67mm-fl-conversion-lens-for-televue-55mm-plossl/

2. I use a Baader 610nm red filter to filter out the moon (when I am not using the Ha filter)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-filters/baader-colour-filters-for-visual-use.html

3. Maybe over time, look to add some faster focal ratio scopes to your squadron... At the end of the day it’s all about getting the fastest possible focal speeds to increase what we see at the eyepiece.

4. buy a copy of the “astrophotography sky atlas“ by Bracken

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Astrophotography-Sky-Atlas-Charles-Bracken/dp/1517687802/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3OHXF0WUYJOB0&dchild=1&keywords=astrophotography+sky+atlas&qid=1594305009&sprefix=Astrophotography+Sky+atl%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1

great book!

Hope this helps,

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Thanks 1

Steve

Sounds like you’ve got some powerful equipment and ideas. Good times ahead! Please let us know what you get to observe.

Alan 

Looks an interesting and useful book. Despite being (apparently) aimed at astrophotographers it’s evidently of interest to those observing with NV and probably those of us using live stacking EEVA too. 

Best regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

with the Milky Way coming back there’ll be plenty of nice big galactic nebs to find.

Bracken is our fave book as it shows how faint stuff will be, doesn’t show too much small stuff (which you won’t see with fast ip Ida) and identifies reflection nebulae which we ignore as we can’t see them.

@Bill S are you debating joining the dark side?? 

Peter

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you’re good to go! Great array of options. With Bortle 4 skies you should be ok with a 7nm nebulae filter, though Gavin and I have gone as narrow as 3nm Chroma filters for London. A Baader 685nm is also a nice cluster/galaxy option if light pollution’s a particular problem.

Away from the kit, the most useful advice I can pass on is to establish a strict system for setting up and then for packing up at the end, so the device is never exposed to sudden light. And never store it without removing the battery first. 

• Like 1

I ensure the “rubber cap with small hole” is always fitted unless I’m out at night. Useful to do quick daytime power ups... was a bit surprised yeast ready that I needed to change the batteries... can’t remember the last time I needed to do that.

i use lithium AA in mine (and the stabilised bins), last forever and don’t leak. My battery door is also a bit crap and so constantly using it could break it.

Have fun with what You’ve got, you can always tweak things and exchange experiences. I was out in urban conditions at 3x with the 685nm, milkyway was nice.

Peter

• Like 1