Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

Abhinav

I have a newtonian reflecter and a dslr, can I reach inward focus with a focal reducer

Can I reach focus with a DSLR and a focal reducer like with a barlow because my telescope does not have enough inward focus .

a focal reducer moves the focal point further inwards. Using focal reducers on fast newtonians doesn't make sense. What you need is actually a Barlow lens to move the focal point further away from the focuser. However, the best solution is to use a low profile focuser so you can reach focus without a Barlow lens. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dario
      Hi everyone!
      As I said few days ago in my presentation I recently got my first scope  (skywatcher 127) and over the last days I tried to test It.
      Due to impossibility (temporary) to bring the scope in a decent location to make observations, I had to test it from home through a window  (and under the sky of London - not the best at all). So i know that quality is of course affected.
      On the other hand, I am sure that the performances are worse than I could expect also under these conditions (maybe you will correct me) and would asks for opinions to improve.
      As a (mainly) planetary scope, I did not have a lot of choice: no Moon, Jupiter and Saturn out of my field of view. I pointed at Mars.
      First sight, I see the very big central obstruction. I played with the knob of the focus to get rid of the big black spot in the centre of my target and here you are the issues that I would like to talk about:
      1) the target became very small (ok) but still was not focus  (very blurry and not a lot of clues to get atleast the shape of the planet well defined - can imagine to find any detail on it )
      2) Also the colours did not convince me as no other colour than a light yellow was visible
      3) Changing the eyepiece  (10 instead of 25) for a magnification of 150x did not improve the situation: probably the image was even worse, more blurry with more irregular shape than before, no ability to focus at all. Differences from before : bigger (but still much smaller than expected) and very little variation in colours (I believe I saw a bit of orange).
      To complete, later, I tried the scope to stars: Orion costellation was visible from my place and tried to all the stars. Although still a bit blurry  (the brightest stars), I had impression of more sharp view, differentiation in colour and better shape  (stars almost like a dot). Moreover, to give you a final idea, Mars (at the best focus I could get) did not appear that much bigger than Betelguese.
      What do you think I can do to get better results? Could be a scope problem or some adjustments needed? Unfortunately I have no comparisons. 
      Thank you, Hope I was not too long 😅
    • By Astrid
      After a few months of getting used to my new 8 inch beast, I decided to start astrophotography (luckily today is Black Friday in most tech shops in my country). So I decided to drop the idea of buying a DSLR and started thinking about getting a webcam. The thing is that I want to try deepsky AP, so i was wondering, is there a webcam that could get me good results for DSO AP? Don't worry, I don't want anything too fancy because I'll be happy with entry-level images. (i saw some nice Andromeda pictures with 20GBP cameras on this forum so I'm confident that it would work).
      My budget is ±100 GBP, which in my opinion is more than enough for a good webcam . So... is it worth getting a webcam? Or is there something better? Should I wait and raise more money for a DSLR?

Thanks a lot!
      Astrid 

• By endlessky
      I would like to share my first picture ever posted and the first real picture captured with my Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series (not counting the test shots for "first light").
      This is IC 1805, also known as the Heart Nebula, taken over 4 nights, under my Bortle 5 home sky.
      Total integration time: 8h 52m 20s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/10/07: Number of subs/Exposure time: 1@60s + 80@90s. Notes: No filter, Moon 70% illuminated
      2020/10/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 2@60s + 11@180s + 1@200s + 12@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/10/27: Number of subs/Exposure time: 59@180s + 1@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 88% illuminated
      2020/10/28: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@180s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 93% illuminated
      Total exposure time: 31940s = 8h 52m 20s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-6.
      Unfortunately, the best out of the 4 sessions (no Moon and L-Pro filter) was also the shortest one. But, after waiting for 5 months for my telescope, I couldn't pass up the few clear skies opportunities I got since it arrived, Moon or no Moon.

Here's a link to the full resolution image: Heart Nebula (IC 1805)
      Thanks for looking and commenting!
    • By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 100.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 150
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By JimFR
      I’ve just acquired the above (birthday prezzie!).
      It’s a nice finder, and a definite boost from the 7x30 bundled with the scope!
      However, I’m struggling to get anywhere near focus with my Pentax K50 on the end of it... anyone know why? There’s no focus mechanism to speak of, other than the objective lens’ mounting thread...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.