Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exploration of Venus.

Below is a link to a future Venus surface rover explorer concept. Some time ago I posted enquiring about the future exploration of Venus. Glad to here that it may be starting to happen. But it is going to take some doing with the harsh conditions on Venus. I wonder what discoveries will be made?

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7693

Edited by Guest
Added text.

That's going to take some serious engineering.

Another approach I've seen floated (Deliberate pun alert!) is for a fleet of airships that would float at a less hostile altitude and explore the surface remotely. There was even a plan for a crewed version in the future.

I recall the article being in AN.

• Like 1

The conditions on Venus are so challenging. I cannot see people visiting the surface for the foreseeable future. It would take huge resources.

As you say Mark, a great achievement for The Russians to have had their success with the landers.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the link.

I have always been absolutely astounded and fascinated with the Russian Venera probes. I'm 45, and for as long as I can remember, I have been (and still am) blown away by the pictures of the Venutian surface. 

Even now, when I look at it, my mind goes ape. That's the surface of Venus. And it's the only image we have and boy oh boy do I admire their perseverance in trying to achieve what they did. I absolutely love that photo and I don't think i would be lying to say it played a large part in starting my deep love and passion for space and science.

One photo...yet it invokes soooo many thoughts and wonders. Mars? Bah! So boring!

It's a shame so few people know about the Venera missions.

Cheers

• Like 1

I think a balloon mission to Venus is entirely feasible with our current technology. The difficulty with Venus is the harsh conditions on the surface, in all other aspects it's an easier planet to reach than Mars: it's closer and the thick atmosphere makes aerobraking on arrival much easier than on Mars. So landing is easier, but survival after that is the real challenge.

We know far less about the evolution of Venus than about Mars: Venus  is a geologically active world,  which means records of past events are erased very quickly. As a first step we could investigate its atmosphere with a new mission to settle the phosphine controversy. Without the need to land it should be a simpler mission than the Veneras and the current public interest should help to get funding.