Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What causes blue and red areas in my view of Jupiter

Its probably easy to answer for the most of you, but what is it that puts a blueish edge on the top of jupiter and red on the bottom edge?  Ive never seen it like this.  I use a 12,5 mm S plössl in a powermate 2,5.  Through a 100mm equinox.

its almost similar as looking at the Principality of Lucca and Piombino flag waving 

Edited by Robindonne

4 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Its probably easy to answer for the most of you, but what is that puts a blueish edge on the top of saturn and red on the bottom edge?  Ive never seen this like this.  I use a 12,5 mm S plössl in a powermate 2,5.  Through a 100mm equinox.

its almost similar as looking at the French flag waving 

It is most likely atmospheric chromatic abberation. Your scope should be pretty much false colour free visually, and so long as the eyepiece is decent that’s all it can be. The main problem is that the planets are low currently (assuming you are in the U.K. or similar latitude), so you are looking through a lot of atmosphere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It is most likely atmospheric chromatic abberation. Your scope should be pretty much false colour free visually, and so long as the eyepiece is decent that’s all it can be. The main problem is that the planets are low currently (assuming you are in the U.K. or similar latitude), so you are looking through a lot of atmosphere.

I hoped for an answer like this🙏🏼   Ok so this is when an ADC? Comes in handy?

Edited by Robindonne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

It’s due to the atmosphere.

Differential refraction of the atmosphere, most noticeable when viewing objects at lower altitude, acts like like a prism.

Yes it’s seen from Holland   And indeed i couldnt wait tonight to take a look😬.  Ok so most of the times it should solve itself during the night?

53 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I hoped for an answer like this🙏🏼   Ok so this is when an ADC? Comes handy?

yes! I tried mine out last night and have high hopes for it for just this purpose- was able to all but eliminate those colour shifts on Jupiter and Antares- like magic 😉

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

I hoped for an answer like this🙏🏼   Ok so this is when an ADC? Comes handy?

That’s correct, an ADC does help resolve atmospheric CA. I’ve used one a couple of times but personally found them rather fiddly, largely because I also use binoviewers for planetary observing. Many others use them successfully for this.

Unfortunately the planets are rather low currently, and will be for a number of years yet. Mars should be good in October though, higher up and at opposition.

• Thanks 1

I have the same issue depending on where the bright object is, the closer to the horizon, the worse it becomes. Regardless of what scope I have used, atmosphere is to blame as mentioned above, no need to worry.

• Thanks 1