Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV 50/55 Equivilent in UK/Europe

I'm looking to get something around the same spec (50/55) that doesnt set me back £229.

Theres a couple in the US (russell optics being one). But on enquiry they dont ship to the Uk. Does anyone know of any more afforabe alternatives that are available this side of the pond?

Thanks

Thanks guys. I heard about the GSO and wasnt sure where they stocked it. I thought finding the meade might be a fruitless task also, so I didnt have a good look round.

Its going into the 8" SCT, so im hoping being F10, they both should be reasonable. 

Anyone able to advise:

Size wise, what am I lettng myself in for?

Do I have to do a 2 meter social distance just to look through the thing? :D

Its really for nebula, I'm hoping the next step up from my W/O Swan 40mm, any ideas if it will do the job?

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you mean the Televue 55mm Plossl the I have a Meade 56mm and it does a decent enough job.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/meade-series-4000-56mm-super-plossl-eyepiece-2.html

Have you tried with viewing Nebula? WHats your general thoughts on the peice.

I found a shorter focal length eyepiece with a wider AFoV showed as much sky and a darker background sky when I had an 8 inch SCT. I preferred a 40mm 68 degrees to 50mm for this reason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John said:

I found a shorter focal length eyepiece with a wider AFoV showed as much sky and a darker background sky when I had an 8 inch SCT. I preferred a 40mm 68 degrees to 50mm for this reason.

Hi John, what abut Nebula? Thats primarily what Im after. Ive got a swan 40/70. I was hoping the lower power would brighten up the veil ect, and not just the sky around it.

30 minutes ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Have you tried with viewing Nebula? WHats your general thoughts on the peice.

I’ve used it a bit in my Mewlon 210 which has a 2415mm focal length, a bit more than yours. It’s handy as a finder, but mainly I use it  for filtered views using an OIII or UHC filter as it gives a larger exit pupil. Unfiltered views are more washed out than a 40mm as John says, but for me it is worth it for the filtered views which keep the background brightness controlled well and objects like the Veil brighter than with a smaller exit pupil. The eye relief is long but not unmanageable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve used it a bit in my Mewlon 210 which has a 2415mm focal length, a bit more than yours. It’s handy as a finder, but mainly I use it  for filtered views using an OIII or UHC filter as it gives a larger exit pupil. Unfiltered views are more washed out than a 40mm as John says, but for me it is worth it for the filtered views which keep the background brightness controlled well and objects like the Veil brighter than with a smaller exit pupil. The eye relief is long but not unmanageable.

Thats precisely what I'm after it for, I have a 2" UHC Astronomik and getting an OIII at some point. I'm guessing its a noticable difference.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2020 at 23:51, DeathWarpedUp said:

Hi John, what abut Nebula? Thats primarily what Im after. Ive got a swan 40/70. I was hoping the lower power would brighten up the veil ect, and not just the sky around it.

Thinking back (it was a long time ago that I owned an SCT) I don't think I used it much on nebulae apart from the small bright ones and not with filters.

I can see that the longer focal length eyepiece would produce more effective exit pupil when using O-III or UHC filters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

Thinking back (it was a long time ago that I owned an SCT) I don't think I used it much on nebulae apart from the small bright ones and not with filters.

I can see that the longer focal length eyepiece would produce more effective exit pupil when using O-III or UHC filters.

I think with the filters its worth a punt. Its not so expensive. However theres a part of me that wonders maybe I shoud tie my UHC to my finder scope with a rubber band at this point :D

5 hours ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

However theres a part of me that wonders maybe I shoud tie my UHC to my finder scope with a rubber band at this point

A 2" filter would fit just about perfectly on the front of a 50mm finder scope.

• Like 1

I think I have a 2" M&SG filter kicking around somewhere that I picked up for cheap on closeout.  I'll have to try putting it on the front of my 50mm RACI to see if it works sometime.

If the skies are really dark you can hold a UHC or O-III in front of your eye and see the NA and a few other large Nebulae apparently. I've tried it but not with much success so far.

5 minutes ago, John said:

If the skies are really dark you can hold a UHC or O-III in front of your eye and see the NA and a few other large Nebulae apparently. I've tried it but not with much success so far.

Have you tried filter stacking before John (or anyone)?

23 minutes ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Have you tried filter stacking before John (or anyone)?

Probably but I don't recall the results being any good !

I later realised that stacking a UHC and an O-III is pointless when I thought it through. What you end up with is an O-III filter with a lower peak pass %.

On 09/07/2020 at 22:31, John said:

I later realised that stacking a UHC and an O-III is pointless when I thought it through. What you end up with is an O-III filter with a lower peak pass %.

I think i'll stand on the shoulder of giants with filter stacking and let someone with more brains, money and time than me crunch the numbers. Any takers? :)

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

On 09/07/2020 at 14:31, John said:

And no narrower bandwidth than the O-III filter by itself.  Stacking two identical O-III filters would also reduce the peak transmission, but also give

a narrower bandwidth.  That could be bad or good depending on the filter.