SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I must be mad...

Helen

Got it last night!! :thumbright: (got up for a drink, noticed clear sky so hastily grabbed camera and binos - sadly tripod in car so decided not to wake everyone....)

First one phone camera, and second one DSLR balanced on my car.  It was fantastic with binos - real wow and big grin moment.  Hopefully going try again tonight with a tripod!!

comet-phone.thumb.jpg.2cc0dff548924cedd9d28e1dda3cec53.jpg

SON02644.thumb.JPG.ce910377646f1a01eae3122d9ebc1955.JPG

Helen

• Like 11

I decided to concentrate totally on Neowise this morning. Got everything ready and went to my driveway , where I was yesterday.

Back to the South, Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and the Moon looked incredible in a clear sky.

But instead, I stayed over an hour, scanning through come and go clouds with my binoculars,  only to see small bats feeding!

Blasted clouds! 

I'm certain all the neighbors who drove by on the way to work probably thought I was crazy.

Hoping again for tomorrow!

1 minute ago, maw lod qan said:

I'm certain all the neighbors who drove by on the way to work probably thought I was crazy.

You're always the last to know 🤣

14 minutes ago, wormix said:

Great image! What time was that?  Heading out tonight again as it’s forecast clear all night long. 

That was about 2:30 am - it would have been higher later... but then dawn would have started interfering (and I needed to get up this morning 🥺)

2 hours ago, Helen said:

Got it last night!! :thumbright: (got up for a drink, noticed clear sky so hastily grabbed camera and binos - sadly tripod in car so decided not to wake everyone....)

First one phone camera, and second one DSLR balanced on my car.  It was fantastic with binos - real wow and big grin moment.  Hopefully going try again tonight with a tripod!!

comet-phone.thumb.jpg.2cc0dff548924cedd9d28e1dda3cec53.jpg

SON02644.thumb.JPG.ce910377646f1a01eae3122d9ebc1955.JPG

Helen

Great shots Helen, I got up at about 02:00 based on the weather forecast, but found horizon to horizon cloud, so set the alarm for 02:45, but still clouded out, then tried again at 03:15 and still clouded out, so at that point I gave it up as a bad job :( then awoke to crystal clear skies at 05:30, but I figured that 03:15 would have been pushing it so don't think I actually missed anything.

2 hours ago, peabrain said:

great shot.
me my self got it this night. (first time attempting a comet)

kloster komet1.jpg

Are those Noctilucent Clouds or just normal clouds lit up before sunrise?

• Like 1

And we got it again tonight - went back to the common from earlier in the week but Mikle came too (not just as protection , he brought his camera too!).  It didn't feel like summer though!!  Duvet jacket with hood up, a scarf and gloves to cope with the blustery and cold conditions.  The Moon and Mars looked great, as did Jupiter and Saturn.  But main attraction floating on the horizon easily naked eye...

SON02829.thumb.JPG.cf4051b9a716dbd12cb39f3a0c6730d7.JPG

• Like 6

10 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Great shots Helen, I got up at about 02:00 based on the weather forecast, but found horizon to horizon cloud, so set the alarm for 02:45, but still clouded out, then tried again at 03:15 and still clouded out, so at that point I gave it up as a bad job :( then awoke to crystal clear skies at 05:30, but I figured that 03:15 would have been pushing it so don't think I actually missed anything.

Are those Noctilucent Clouds or just normal clouds lit up before sunrise?

yup they where Noctilucient clouds,

I spent five hours faffing about taking what turned out to be some really crummy subs last night, but the night was saved by the sight of Comet NEOWISE, both naked eye early on, then bins.  Spectacular.  

I do wonder about getting rid of the gadgets and just getting a dob and some big bins...

• Like 2

On 06/07/2020 at 04:00, John said:

Nice view here !

neowise06072020.JPG

Wow......looks amazing. Where ca i spot this comet. In the west im guessing from other pics. Will certainly be grabbing the bins tomorrow night.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

I had thought my next chance would be Wednesday morning when my 4 days off started.

But, thanks to the "system" I was scheduled two 4 hour days at work.

4am to 8am today, 9am to 1pm tomorrow!

I'll be looking in the morning, hoping for Quapla! (Klingon for success!)