SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Full Moon, Jupiter and Saturn close together

F15Rules

I was in the kitchen tonight, locking up and about to turn in for the night when I noticed the full moon just clearing some trees beyond our garden.

I then noticed Jupiter right above the moon as some cloud moved away, and just on impulse took a few quick snaps with my android phone from inside the kitchen window, time approx 11.20pm.

I was please to see that I also picked up Saturn too, to the lower left of the shots..the first and darkest shot was in "night mode", (whatever that is), the others in normal mode:icon_scratch:

A nice and unexpected end to the day🙂

DaveIMG_20200705_232637858.thumb.jpg.ec8f3618723e31b57009422102fc8962.jpg

IMG_20200705_232925527.jpg

IMG_20200705_232834560.jpg

IMG_20200705_232657135.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 8

Thanks for the heads-up guys, 3am wide awake, what to do,,,
oh ! scudding* clouds, a moon and yep, Jupiter and Saturn lurking amongst the branches.

Hand held, telephoto 104mm, 1/4 second !optimistic!!, f3.6, noisy 1600iso (needed to get the exp up to 1/4sec.)
Lucky shot.

*I can think of another name beginning with s :)

1220545s.thumb.jpg.c1fd98cfb67f69ad12ba07917cbd4249.jpg

Edited by Corncrake
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Corncrake said:

Thanks for the heads-up guys, 3am wide awake, what to do,,,
oh ! scudding* clouds, a moon and yep, Jupiter and Saturn lurking amongst the branches.

Hand held, telephoto 104mm, 1/4 second !optimistic!!, f3.6, noisy 1600iso (needed to get the exp up to 1/4sec.)
Lucky shot.

*I can think of another name beginning with s :)

1220545s.thumb.jpg.c1fd98cfb67f69ad12ba07917cbd4249.jpg

Lovely image!:thumbsup:

Dave

• Thanks 1

Nice capture Dave. I noticed the conjunction from my bedroom window last night, but when I checked down stairs it was completely obscured by houses. I might need to start observing from the bedroom window :D 

• Like 2

Thanks Chris!

I absolutely don't do pictures or photography, and on top of that my newish phone and its' multiple-pixel-thingamejig functions are largely a mystery to me, so I was just pleased and surprised to pick up Jupiter and Saturn from inside my closed kitchen window!😂🤣

Dave

What has gone wrong with the moon ?
I thought it was just me shrunk or my trees grown but this am. I had to handhold my camera cos on the tripod there was no chance of seeing it !

@F15Rules  >>just clearing some trees
@matthasboldlygone  >>behind another tree..
@Lockie >>obscured by houses

Time was it used to be so high in the sky I got a crick in the neck,
am I just not seeing it often enough / choosing the wrong times to look.

Just seems so long since I saw it proper !

There's nothing wrong with the Moon..it gets higher or lower in the sky at different times of the year, due to the movement of the Earth's axis..

"At night with a full moon, the moon is on the opposite side but in the same plane as the earth-sun. In winter, the axis of the earth is tilted away from the sun, which means it’s tilted toward the full moon, so it appears higher in the sky. In the summer, the opposite is true"...source - Quora online

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Thanks 1