Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

New ZWO mono camera on the way?


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, gorann said:

Yes, my Esprit 150 has no problem filing out the sensor of my ASI6200MM, not even much vignetting.

20201013-14 NGC6914 LRGB PS21smallSign.jpg

20201015-16 M81M82 LRGB PS37smallSign.jpg

Very nice images Goran, love it!

Do you have a full uncropped image ? Whats your cropping factor?

Cheers Ken 

Edit- Looking at field of view calculator your M81 82 is about 65% crop ?

Edited by Ken82
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a super camera, it would want to be for the price. I haven't noticed any issues since i started using it in January. Zero amp glow, no reflection problems and nice deep wells. The cooling works b

First light with Heart Nebula, 4 hours of SHO with  80mm TS scope and flattener. The full moon did not help at all but at least I got to image something and check guiding etc. (camera is seriously hea

Apparently the ASI2600MM mono is coming soon  

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Very nice images Goran, love it!

Do you have a full uncropped image ? Whats your cropping factor?

Cheers Ken 

Edit- Looking at field of view calculator your M81 82 is about 65% crop ?

You are right Ken - I forgot that this was from my double Esprit rig where my Esprit 100 with an ASI071 collects RGB, so here is the un-cropped Lum from the Esprit 150 with the ASI6200 - only stretched, no flats applied. Rather ok star shapes in the corners.

PS. But looking at it again it does seem to show the same FOV, so I have to check if it was cropped, but I think not.

20201016-18 M81-82 PS3.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gorann said:

You are right Ken - I forgot that this was from my double Esprit rig where my Esprit 100 with an ASI071 collects RGB, so here is the un-cropped Lum from the Esprit 150 with the ASI6200 - only stretched, no flats applied. Rather ok star shapes in the corners.

PS. But looking at it again it does seem to show the same FOV, so I have to check if it was cropped, but I think not.

20201016-18 M81-82 PS3.jpg

Yes you are right Gorann this is the full frame. 
 

I’d say very well corrected and flat. Very slight sagittal astigmatism in the corners but perfectly acceptable!

Well done 👍 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Very nice images Goran, love it!

Do you have a full uncropped image ? Whats your cropping factor?

Cheers Ken 

Edit- Looking at field of view calculator your M81 82 is about 65% crop ?

Hi again Ken,

you must be wrong about the crop. Telescopius gives me exactly the same FOV with the Esprit 150 and ASI2600 as I got:

Skärmavbild 2020-12-01 kl. 23.10.52.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your esprit image is slightly better than I had with my 120. But both are very good. 
 

I’d say the slower f ratio plays a large part here in terms of comparison to fsq at f5. Both of course are designed for different things so it would be better to compare the field flatness of the fsq with the esprit 100. 
 

But hey ho the esprit 150 with field flattener and asi 6200 is certainly a winner. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

I think your esprit image is slightly better than I had with my 120

Could you post your Esprit 120 image, just to gauge?  The 150 is outside my price bracket.

The 100 doesn’t quote a corrected 44mm imaging circle, only up to 40mm.  But I already have a ~500mm scope so was looking the longer FL.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Could you post your Esprit 120 image, just to gauge?  The 150 is outside my price bracket.

The 100 doesn’t quote a corrected 44mm imaging circle, only up to 40mm.  But I already have a ~500mm scope so was looking the longer FL.

 

I’ll have a look tomorrow and post you some raw images 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ken82 said:

I’ll have a look tomorrow and post you some raw images 👍

Thanks Ken. It’s unlikely I’ll go for the larger camera but I’m not totally sure yet. I do have a scope that purports to work at 44mm, but tilt and collimation present as an an issue, and with the small pixels it unlikely to deliver on its claims.  From what I’ve seen of the Esprit so far, it looks quite excellent.  I have a FF Nikon DSLR, and I’ve a new focuser so if I got a clear night I could see how that looks, but the pixels are 4.88um. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

The 100 doesn’t quote a corrected 44mm imaging circle, only up to 40mm.

I have found this to be true when shooting with my Canon 6D. One raw (not calibrated or debayered), stretched .jpg attached for reference.

Hence why I'll be going for the 268M / 2600MM (that and £££) :D

2020-09-15_01-41-33_120.00s_0109.jpg

Edited by Spongey
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Spongey said:

I have found this to be true when shooting with my Canon 6D. One raw (not calibrated or debayered), stretched .jpg attached for reference.

2020-09-15_01-41-33_120.00s_0109.jpg

Just had a quick look on my phone, I think that’s quite good to be honest. 
 

Some tilt definitely as you have slight tangential astigmatism to the left and sagittal astigmatism to the right. But good !

once you get a tilt adapter and make it even then you can really do a fair judgement of the field flatness.

Actually the 100 esprit has a faster f ratio so this is likely why it’s not as flat as the 120 or 150.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Esprit100 is not flat at full frame..  it just about manages it to APSH ..   my Esprit150 is flat to full frame with a DSLR, slower f ratio I guess,  all with 6 micron pixels..  smaller pixels as people are finding are more revealing..   also with my Esprits the stock focusers are not up to the job with a heavy camera and sag..  this cost an extra £1000 to fix 🙁

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ken82 said:

I think that’s quite good to be honest. 

Yeah I can't complain! Considering the quoted corrected image circle, my stars are very good. APS-C is the sweet spot for me and my current setup, and I feel a lot of the amateur astro-imaging community are similar in that they don't want to / can't invest in the extra gear required for full frame setups.

2 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

also with my Esprits the stock focusers are not up to the job with a heavy camera and sag..  this cost an extra £1000 to fix 🙁

That is disappointing to hear, what would you define as 'heavy'? My current imaging train weighs in at ~1.2kg but I only expect this to increase.

Edited by Spongey
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gorann said:

You are right Ken - I forgot that this was from my double Esprit rig where my Esprit 100 with an ASI071 collects RGB, so here is the un-cropped Lum from the Esprit 150 with the ASI6200 - only stretched, no flats applied. Rather ok star shapes in the corners.

PS. But looking at it again it does seem to show the same FOV, so I have to check if it was cropped, but I think not.

20201016-18 M81-82 PS3.jpg

Goran,

Which filterwheel do you use with your ASI6200MM? I have the EFW2 with 2” mounted filters and it vignettes even with my Pentax 125SDP (88mm image circle). I’m looking at moving to unmounted 2” filters in hope that it doesn’t vignette - but spending thousands on 2” unmounted filters in hope is quite a big risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spongey said:

Yeah I can't complain! Considering the quoted corrected image circle, my stars are very good. APS-C is the sweet spot for me and my current setup, and I feel a lot of the astro-imaging community are similar in that they don't want to / can't invest in the extra gear required for full frame setups.

That is disappointing to hear, what would you define as 'heavy'? My current imaging train weighs in at ~1.2kg but I only expect this to increase.

Hi Spongey

My SX46 plus FW, filters, flattener, OAG and guide cameras weighs around 3.5kg,  the focuser was fine when it only had the ASI1600/EFW/OAG on it but as well as being less weight it was also a much smaller fov.  The SW focuser and Esprit150 was fine with a full frame DSLR with 6 micron pixels..

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AnakChan said:

Goran,

Which filterwheel do you use with your ASI6200MM? I have the EFW2 with 2” mounted filters and it vignettes even with my Pentax 125SDP (88mm image circle). I’m looking at moving to unmounted 2” filters in hope that it doesn’t vignette - but spending thousands on 2” unmounted filters in hope is quite a big risk.

I use the dedicated one from ZWO for ASI6200MM for 7 x 2" filters. Supports 7x 2" mounted or 50.4mm (+/- 0.5mm) unmounted filters. The lum in my image was taken through a mounted 2" Baader UV/VIS. FLO will tell you if you can use the EFW2 that you have.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-7x-2-inch-electronic-filter-wheel-efw.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gorann said:

I use the dedicated one from ZWO for ASI6200MM for 7 x 2" filters. Supports 7x 2" mounted or 50.4mm (+/- 0.5mm) unmounted filters. The lum in my image was taken through a mounted 2" Baader UV/VIS. FLO will tell you if you can use the EFW2 that you have.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-7x-2-inch-electronic-filter-wheel-efw.html

Thank you. That’s the same EFW2 2”x7 I use except in my case with ZWO filters. Well I hope when I move to unmounted filters, it won’t vignette.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AnakChan said:

Thank you. That’s the same EFW2 2”x7 I use except in my case with ZWO filters. Well I hope when I move to unmounted filters, it won’t vignette.

Are you sure it is the same? The one I have screws on to the camera with a set of small screws after removing the tilt plate on the camera.

See here: https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/tutorials/5-connection-methods-to-get-55mm-back-focus-length.html

Edited by gorann
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d just be cautious using 2” filters with fast scopes. I had a big issue with light from bright stars hitting the metal frame then giving a reflection. I solved this by moving to 50mm unmounted. 
 

This may not be an issue using a slower f ratio. 
 

7E5CC3A5-127D-45C3-A0A3-54435297CDD2.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ken82 said:

I’d just be cautious using 2” filters with fast scopes. I had a big issue with light from bright stars hitting the metal frame then giving a reflection. I solved this by moving to 50mm unmounted. 
 

This may not be an issue using a slower f ratio. 
 

7E5CC3A5-127D-45C3-A0A3-54435297CDD2.jpeg

That’s quite an impressive reflection 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.