Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

New ZWO mono camera on the way?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a super camera, it would want to be for the price. I haven't noticed any issues since i started using it in January. Zero amp glow, no reflection problems and nice deep wells. The cooling works b

First light with Heart Nebula, 4 hours of SHO with  80mm TS scope and flattener. The full moon did not help at all but at least I got to image something and check guiding etc. (camera is seriously hea

Apparently the ASI2600MM mono is coming soon  

Posted Images

On 02/08/2020 at 12:37, DaveS said:

At the amateur level I think development of CCD is effectively dead. Pro CCD might still be being  developed but I have my doubts.

Pro CCD is still viable.  They have well known characteristics.  Even at professional level there a pros and cons to each and generally the choice is made on what is best for the task at hand.  CCDs can still be custom made to meet specific needs (noise characteristics etc)  but they do cost 10's -100's thousands. As for amateur it is unlikely CCD will continue simply as there is not enough interest in a stable technology that has limitations when considering the wider consumer market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

Looks like it's the ASI294MM :) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zwoasiusers/permalink/1219912791701100/

Quote

So time for the big news: a new mono cooled camera is on the corner! As you can see in the picture below, it is #ASI294MM Pro, the mono version of ASI294MC Pro. 🤗

We invited Andy Ermolli to help us test it.
P2: M27 The Dumbbell nebula
P3: VBD142 The Elephant Trunk Nebula
There's a thread posted by Andy on CN about this new camera, just click it for more info and testing images of ASI294MM Pro!
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/726990-zwo-asi-294-mm-pro-first-impressions-and-test-images/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

This camera looks to be the one they were originally referring to yes.

However, the original post (screenshotted below - you can access this version by looking at the edit history of the post) stated some info about the 2600MM that has since been edited out. So it's looking like we will be waiting for a little while still.

image.png.c46c5dce117626f37a24979475cdf009.png

ZWO also replied to a comment with some extra info on the wait, so it perhaps looks like QHY snapped up the first few mono IMX571 chips and ZWO are still waiting.

image.png.fd3e1b90bbb0811596e39f488e4e414e.png

Edited by Spongey
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Sony has now officially announced the IMX571 mono!

The details can be found here: Product flyer

and here: Product list

 

Latest info on the 2600mm: Sam from ZWO has commented on the ZWO forum that is should be ready at the start of next year!

Haven't heard any news on the QHY268M, anyone know if there has been any official communication regarding it?

Cheers

Edited by Spongey
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I decided to put my name down for a QHY268M.  There is a small batch coming in (hopefully) in Jan.  Always a risk being an early adopter, but all things considered it’s the ideal camera for my setup.

There seems to be no information around a ZWO2600M version so despite its more favourable back spacing, I can make the other one work just fine. 
 

Anyone else on here expressed interest in it ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Well I decided to put my name down for a QHY268M. 

Did you do this through Bern at Modern Astronomy?

I registered my early interest (for the ZWO version) with FLO last week but they don't appear to have any official form of queueing system for launches like this.

Edited by Spongey
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spongey said:

Did you do this through Bern at Modern Astronomy?

I registered my early interest (for the ZWO version) with FLO last week but they don't appear to have any official form of queueing system for launches like this.

Once I heard there was no idea on the timing of the ZWO camera, I kinda ruled a line under it for the time being.  But I’ll keep my interest in it for sure.  I suppose MA is anticipating X cameras coming in so they take a list of X people in the order of their registered interest.  I can’t see there being issues selling them if any one pulls out

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Once I heard there was no idea on the timing of the ZWO camera

As far as I'm aware (details above), the timing situation with both cameras is the same, and both QHY and ZWO appear to be on track for early next year release. do you have information to the contrary?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spongey said:

As far as I'm aware (details above), the timing situation with both cameras is the same, and both QHY and ZWO appear to be on track for early next year release. do you have information to the contrary?

I’ve not spoken to all the ZWO suppliers but the one I did had no information on release.   Info above is 2 weeks old too 

Edited by tooth_dr
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ve not spoken to all the ZWO suppliers but the one I did had no information on release.   Info above is 2 weeks old too 

Ah okay, that's good to know, cheers.

FLO didn't have any official info yet either, but said that they'd take a note and keep me informed when they knew more. At the end of the day I'm not too fussed whether I have a QHY or ZWO camera, as long as it works! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good value?

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/cooled-ccd/qhy-cooled-ccd-cameras/qhy600l-lite-mono-cmos-cooled-camera/

I was thinking about the price point of the 268M?  If it’s much more than the 268C version then the 600L represents exceptional value. It’s still dear but a heck sensor area in mono in the latest CMOS technology?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

This is good value?

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/cooled-ccd/qhy-cooled-ccd-cameras/qhy600l-lite-mono-cmos-cooled-camera/

I was thinking about the price point of the 268M?  If it’s much more than the 268C version then the 600L represents exceptional value. It’s still dear but a heck sensor area in mono in the latest CMOS technology?

large gulp and double take at the price "pregnant pause" 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

This is good value?

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/cooled-ccd/qhy-cooled-ccd-cameras/qhy600l-lite-mono-cmos-cooled-camera/

I was thinking about the price point of the 268M?  If it’s much more than the 268C version then the 600L represents exceptional value. It’s still dear but a heck sensor area in mono in the latest CMOS technology?

If the only differences are a smaller DDR buffer and body size then yes, it is exceptional value for what it is. I note that 'only' a C grade sensor is guaranteed with this model, and that does not appear to be applicable to the non-L version. Info on the differences can be found here.

What is not to be forgotten is the additional cost that comes with 2" filters, a larger filter wheel, and a scope that can provide a corrected image circle that large!  If you have all of these things already / the budget for them, then by all means the QHY600L seems like the better option; you are getting more chip per £ than you likely will be with the 268M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spongey said:

a scope that can provide a corrected image circle that large!

I have a vague recollection that a few years back Olly suggested, perhaps in a discussion relating to the Atik 11000, that there are almost no OTAs that achieve this.

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I have a vague recollection that a few years back Olly suggested, perhaps in a discussion relating to the Atik 11000, that there are almost no OTAs that achieve this.

James

Probably not perfectly no, but there are a few options -

FSQ 106, I've collected quite a few data sets people have sent me plus my own data. Assuming your using an additional tilt adapter then field flatness is good/reasonable. 

FSQ 85, Without the additional flattener the filed flatness is poor. With the flattener Id expect it to be near to the 106 good/reasonable.

AP 130 with Quad TCC flattener - This has yielded the best results in terms of field flattens from the data sets people have been kind enough to share with me.

The Quad TCC also works with the TEC 140  although I have no data sets to look at so cannot comment. 

Also APM 123/130 with flattener may be worth a look but I have no data.

 

For now I'm using my Fsq 85 without the flattener and just software binning/cropping. I'm hoping to sort out the main imaging scope next summer which will free up my 85 for its intended purpose. 

Ken

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Spongey said:

If the only differences are a smaller DDR buffer and body size then yes, it is exceptional value for what it is. I note that 'only' a C grade sensor is guaranteed with this model, and that does not appear to be applicable to the non-L version. Info on the differences can be found here.

What is not to be forgotten is the additional cost that comes with 2" filters, a larger filter wheel, and a scope that can provide a corrected image circle that large!  If you have all of these things already / the budget for them, then by all means the QHY600L seems like the better option; you are getting more chip per £ than you likely will be with the 268M.

I did read that, it’s seems uncertain what difference a sensor grade makes in CMOS as the tech is new. I am using two old grade 2 CCDs and the defects are noticeable but calibrate effectively.  If the CMOS behaved the same then that would not be a problem.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

The Esprit 120 and 150 claim to offer a 44mm flat imaging circle

Yea the 120 Esprit I had was good with the large pixels of my canon 6d but Id expect It to suffer a bit with the small pixels of the new cmos sensors ( A bit like the fsq scopes do). 

Id say from my experience the field flatness of the 120 fits between the fsq 85 without flattener and fsq 106. So Id expect the 85 to be better with flattener. In terms of price though this is where the esprit scopes really excel at a fraction of the cost. 

Ken 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

Yea the 120 Esprit I had was good with the large pixels of my canon 6d but Id expect It to suffer a bit with the small pixels of the new cmos sensors ( A bit like the fsq scopes do). 

Id say from my experience the field flatness of the 120 fits between the fsq 85 without flattener and fsq 106. So Id expect the 85 to be better with flattener. In terms of price though this is where the esprit scopes really excel at a fraction of the cost. 

Ken 

Thanks Ken. Someone on here recently posted an image from a 6200 and an esprit.  It might have been @gorann

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that going above APS size sensors is cost prohibitive for most people: larger scopes (with larger corrected image circle), large (pricey) filters and filter wheels etc.

For me, the maximum would be a sensor like the IMX571 (or a 4/3rds sensor like the IMX492). Above that level, the equipment becomes too specialized, and you have to mess with tilt adapters etc. But what do I know...?

N.F.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Ken. Someone on here recently posted an image from a 6200 and an esprit.  It might have been @gorann

Yes, my Esprit 150 has no problem filing out the sensor of my ASI6200MM, not even much vignetting.

20201013-14 NGC6914 LRGB PS21smallSign.jpg

20201015-16 M81M82 LRGB PS37smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.