SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Buying a roll-off roof shed observatory - UK

clarkpm4242

Hello all...

I'm looking at various UK suppliers.  Some premium (gulp), some less so.

For various reasons am not able to build from scratch.  I could enhance a prebuilt structure, with some help.

I've found these suppliers

https://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/roll-on-roll-off-roof-observatory-shed-1-82x1-82m.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/shedshedshedsandfencing

Does anyone have any experience of the above?  Any other suppliers that people might suggest/recommend?

Many thanks

Paul

My ROR came from homeobservatoryuk.com  a company in Norfolk, for the price of a reasonable 4-inch refractor.

Really nice job and well-built wooden obsy. Fitted with motor and remote control, which I then ASCOMized.

• Thanks 1

I'm currently having dealings with ShedShesSheds, I'm have a fold down roof observatory built by them, should have it in a few weeks. If you contact them use the mobile number as they tent not to respond to email, and one of the land lines (the one you need) on their website is wrong.

James

• Thanks 1

Saw a 9’x9’ roll off by Home Observatory UK the other day. It was 4 years old and in great condition very solid. Roof rolled very easily, several well thought through points about the structure and it had the look of something that was put up with pride. It certainly made me think I could go with them in the future at some stage.

Linton

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 16:35, buzz said:

My ROR came from homeobservatory.co.uk  a company in Norfolk, for the price of a reasonable 4-inch refractor.

Really nice job and well-built wooden obsy. Fitted with motor and remote control, which I then ASCOMized.

Thanks for making me look at this supplier properly!  Deposit paid a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Graham Beamson said:

I've just ordered a roll-off observatory from Home Observatories UK and am really worried that I now can't contact them. Can anyone reassure me that they are still in business and that I haven't been scammed ?

07967 376 336 is the mobile number of the guy who owns the company.

Edited by Skipper Billy

I am absolutely thrilled with my ROR from Home Observatory UK, which I've had for three years now.  I had a problem with the roof sticking after my first winter, so they came along (free of charge) and fixed it for me.

The only thing I have done to 'improve' it is replace all hinges and door handles with stainless steel... if I was doing it again I would ask for this at the outset.

Tony.

PS: plus a bit of added security...

Edited by AKB
  • Like 1

Thank you Tony,

I'm really looking forward to having my own observatory. I hope it will almost eliminate the work of setting up the 'scope every night and then (even worse) stripping it down again. Also, that it will enable me to make use of short clear periods between the clouds.

It's a good tip about stainless hinges and door handles - I'll ask Nathan for those when he begins my build.

Regards, Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKB said:

ROR from Home Observatory UK

Here's mine.

Three chaps came all way from Norfolk to Wales and put it up in just one day. 

Home Observatory UK are brilliant, highly recommended !!

1s.jpg

3s.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graham Beamson said:

I hope it will almost eliminate the work of setting up the 'scope every night and then (even worse) stripping it down again. Also, that it will enable me to make use of short clear periods between the clouds.

That’s exactly how it works for me!

Having been out of this hobby for three years, I finally moved house where the skies are good, once the street lights switch off during the night.
I decided to go for a micro observatory, working remotely from the house and the 32” pier from Home Observatory UK fitted the bill.

I tried many times to contact them from mid August, finally managed to order and pay for a pier including an adapter for my AZ-EQ6 mount, mid September.
Chased several times and was told early this month that it was awaiting powder coating by a third party.

Eventually received emails and texts from Nathan and it was delivered personally by Nathan and another guy last week, as they were in the area.
I was told by Nathan himself that the adapter would be with me one to two days.

The garden and patio have been designed around the pier after months of planning.
Pier is now bolted to the foundation and still no adapter. Two emails and two texts in the last six days and radio silence.

Now stuck with a piece of scrap metal which could have been a good pier.
Probably time to give up this hobby for good and stick to golf.

Any chance that they read this thread?

Hi Again Dougie,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've ordered a 42" pier and adapter for an EQ6-R pro from Home Observatories so I hope that by the time my observatory is delivered (after Christmas was what I was told by Nathan) they will have got their supply of adapters sorted out. Unfortunately with the pandemic everything seems to have gone a bit 'pear-shaped' - manufacturers can't manufacture, suppliers can't supply and shippers can't ship. I've been waiting ages for a few small items from First Light Optics - apparently are problems with supplies from China.

Regards, Graham.

On 26/10/2020 at 14:26, Debo said:

Here's mine.

Three chaps came all way from Norfolk to Wales and put it up in just one day. 

Home Observatory UK are brilliant, highly recommended !!

1s.jpg

3s.jpg

Looks very good. I've just had a look at some of your pictures on Flikr - also very good ! You probably have some nice dark skies in Powys. In my part of Cheshire we have Bortle 5. 

• Thanks 1

How things have changed. I tried to buy a ready (or almost readay) to use observatory in 2007. Bear in mind t'internet was not so advanced and many companies had little web presence.
The long and helpful descriptions and advice in the SGL home build did not exist.
After many phone calls and visits to shed builders, I concluded that I was asking for something that they had no idea how to build, no idea where to start and no idea who might build one.
There was one company I thought I might use, but didn't. I think I had a narrow escape as they received a lot of adverse comments from the community over the next couple of years.
In the end I ordered a custom shed from a local builder and then spent ages making the roof work, strengthening walls, etc.
It was though money very well spent. It very much improved my enjoyment, being able to set up and pack away in minutes.
Ahh you have it easy now😁

David.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I've been trying to contact Home Observatory UK for the past 3 weeks. They don't answer their land line listed on the website or the mobile phone in one of the posts above? Wonder if they've folded, or just too busy to take orders? 

12 minutes ago, vincentnm said:

I've been trying to contact Home Observatory UK for the past 3 weeks. They don't answer their land line listed on the website or the mobile phone in one of the posts above? Wonder if they've folded, or just too busy to take orders? 

They are still in business, and very busy, I spoke to them a few weeks ago and had jobs in Europe booked in...I just wanted a small 5x5 obsy, and there quote was £2.7k....😮, so I built one from a new 5x5 shed I found for £450 all incl.....👍🏼

Edited by Stuart1971

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/05/2021 at 11:18, Stuart1971 said:

They are still in business, and very busy, I spoke to them a few weeks ago and had jobs in Europe booked in...I just wanted a small 5x5 obsy, and there quote was £2.7k....😮, so I built one from a new 5x5 shed I found for £450 all incl.....👍🏼

Which pre-made shed do you customize into an observatory for £450 and where did you buy it? I am looking at doing the same.

Thanks,

Mike

You've all got me thinking now.  I've a year old 6x6 aluminium & acrylic panel greenhouse that I've recently broken down - yet to list it on fb marketplace but now I might have a look to see if I can adapt the frame.

Possibly make something 5x5 with a hinged roof panel (I only need to look North/East/South and horizon to vertical)

• Like 1