Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apollo 11.... 13?

Silent Running

OK, a year too late to mark the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, with 2 week quarantine just finished, I finally completed my (Revell) Saturn V model. I hadn't made a plastic model kit in years, and this took me back to my childhood Christmas 1969 when Santa brought me an Airfix Saturn V... omg it was 50 years ago. Now I guess I'm marking 50th anniversary of Apollo 13!!

20200705_011606.jpg

20200705_011420.jpg

20200705_011217.jpg

20200705_011134.jpg

20200705_011051.jpg

20200705_011102.jpg

20200704_232254.jpg

• Like 10

Haha, that's an idea! I think a gantry would be much harder and more complex to make than the rocket! I was surprised,  for the tubular structure in this model, you had to roll up flat sheets of plastic... as I recall, from 50 years ago!!!... with the Airfix kit I just stuck together the two halves of the stages. Quarantine over, I'm looking forward now to getting back to stargazing :)

• 6 months later...

Oops sorry, missed this. The Revell is much larger at 1:96 scale. I think the Airfix was 1:144 scale so maybe not fair comparison. I also added a bit of extra detail this time... there are accessory kits available, I think for both scales. 50 years ago... yes I dont think my painting was that hot! I seem to remember wanting to run round the garden with it!

You have made an excellent job of constructing and painting that Saturn V, well done! Takes a lot of patience taking on a job that size.
I made a much smaller one a couple of years ago when I was stuck indoors for a few weeks and decided to give it a go, never tried model making before this. I had no idea just how fiddly painting the LEM would be, not to mention all those decals to stick on all over the Saturn. Anyway I loved doing it and the hours and days flew by.  My model is only about 28” high but like yours it all comes apart just like the real thing. 
I have to add that when I hear those conspiracy theory nutters banging on about it all being a huge hoax I would like to take my rocket and have it blast off from the launch pad and go right up their (complete this sentence to make a well known phrase or saying).

Edited by Moonshed
  • Thanks 1