Narrowband

new eyepieces

Hi,

I have a skywatcher heritage 130p, i currently have the stock eyepieces and 8mm BST Starguider  and Vixen PL 30 mm and a Badarr Q2.25 barlow..(loving both the BST and vixen, haven't really used the Barlow much yet)

I'm heading to a dark sky reserve area in two weeks(hoping for clear skies, but its Ireland so i could end up disappointed)

Im looking at buying either a 5mm, 12mm or 18mm BSTs. Going to buy two, which two these wold be best for my next purchase would the 3.2mm be too much for this scope.

I want to look at saturn and Jupiter as i haven't seen them yet due to having no clear skies since lockdown ended , but also look for some DSO( i know they won't be great in this scope, but i found M92 and M13 a few nights out my garden and was fixated on them for hours, so i think i might be easily pleased in this regard, ).

Which two would you recommend for this scope or is there any other eyepieces i should consider.

Also i was going to look into getting a chesire Collimator, to check before i go on the trip and also when i get there as scope will be in the car. i think i saw mentioned in a thread that you need a shore chesire for this scope, but couldn't fine the thread again. Any recommendations for one? I saw people saying laser ones as well but then read you hd to collimate them as well which kind of scared me of them.

Any advice on either questions is greatly appreciated, thanks.

The 12mm and the 18mm, then you could Barlow both, the 3.2mm would be to much, the shorty Cheshire 

would be the one you need, don't bother with a laser collimator a simple Cheshire will do.

Sound like you are enjoying yourself, hope you have a great time in Ireland, fingers crossed for good weather.

Clear Sky's.

• Like 1

Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you can afford it get both, or should I say the Baader Hyperion Zoomm m 8-24, if its not too heavy for the scope. Failing that go for the celestron zoom thats cheaper. You can thank me later. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronl said:

The 12mm and the 18mm, then you could Barlow both, the 3.2mm would be to much, the shorty Cheshire 

would be the one you need, don't bother with a laser collimator a simple Cheshire will do.

Sound like you are enjoying yourself, hope you have a great time in Ireland, fingers crossed for good weather.

Clear Sky's.

Those where the two i was planning on and have in the basket but said id double check with people here first.

2 hours ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you can afford it get both, or should I say the Baader Hyperion Zoomm m 8-24, if its not too heavy for the scope. Failing that go for the celestron zoom thats cheaper. You can thank me later. :)

Are those zoom ones good, i thought i had read some dodgy reviews on the zoom eyepieces?

I like the idea of having the seperate eyepieces, but the zoom would probably be handier. It would be stretching the budget a bit, but if people think its a better option then the seperate eyepieces i might look into it a bit more.. How would i know if it would be too heavy for the scope or not?

Edited by harpy

Zooms generaly aren’t quite as good as regular eyepieces although there are exceptions. ££££. However they can be really usefull and I useally start with a zoom and when I’ve found the best magnification for what I’m looking at switch to a regular eyepiece of that focal length.

There are very good zooms and some not so good ones. The Baader zoom is very good although the Hyperflex zooms are also good and cheaper.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/hyperflex/

The Nagler 3-6 zoom is a great high power zoom eyepiece but would blow your budget. ££££

8 hours ago, harpy said:

Those where the two i was planning on and have in the basket but said id double check with people here first.

Are those zoom ones good, i thought i had read some dodgy reviews on the zoom eyepieces?

I like the idea of having the seperate eyepieces, but the zoom would probably be handier. It would be stretching the budget a bit, but if people think its a better option then the seperate eyepieces i might look into it a bit more.. How would i know if it would be too heavy for the scope or not?

Baader has an excellent reputation, many have pretty much swoped it over their 8-20 peices.  Have a look around here and cn forums and you tube for reviews. Looking at the 2 pieces in your 1st post, the baader (and maybe the celestron) will be better. Certainly not worse. It will serve you well on larger scopes, fits into 1.25 and 2 inch ep's and if inclined will sell fairly quick and retain a good chunk of its price. Its a very good upper middle to highish end ep.

The other cool thing with zoom is the fun of being able to zoom in and out of the target, as you have all the magnifications in between.The baader is expensive, however add up the costs of all the eps you might buy between 8-24, is it really much more, probably not.

In regards to weight, I don't know if its too heavy, is there any specs on the scope info, or maybe call /email flo and ask them direct for advice. The latest mk4 version is the lightest and smaller than previous. I have read people have used them in your scope, just being cautious, my hunch is it would be Ok, just might be worth checking.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info Deathwarpedup, ill have a look through youtube and reviews online. I'm still leaning more towards the individual eyepieces.

For Collimation would  this work for the sky watcher heritage 130p? I don't see the short ones on FLO

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/astro-essentials-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

There's also this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

Would either of them work for collimating, and also which would make it easiest for me.. and do i also need a a set of allen keys going by instructions online, typical i say ive been looking at a set of allen keys laying around the house the last 3 years, and when i actually go looking for them they are no where to be found. 

10 minutes ago, harpy said:

Thanks for all the info Deathwarpedup, ill have a look through youtube and reviews online. I'm still leaning more towards the individual eyepieces.

For Collimation would  this work for the sky watcher heritage 130p? I don't see the short ones on FLO

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/astro-essentials-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

There's also this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

Would either of them work for collimating, and also which would make it easiest for me.. and do i also need a a set of allen keys going by instructions online, typical i say ive been looking at a set of allen keys laying around the house the last 3 years, and when i actually go looking for them they are no where to be found. 

No idea I don't own one, or anything like ti to be fair :)

This guys channel has a few videos about 130p that are quite informative, might be something in there thats useful:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc2c4Ysgx6ctx42iE7q9xnQ

• Like 1

Hello,

As a fellow 130p owner still learning, I found the rigel aline cap to be fine for checking collimation when used alongside the SW collimation instructions, Astrobaby's and Gary Seronik's collimation guides (all on the web).  I did also pick up a 'premium' cheshire second hand to help the process but found that I had play in the focuser on my 130p, even when fully inserted, so I tend to use this as a sanity check to the rigel now to make sure I've not made a gross error when adjusting with the aline.

Gavin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GavinC said:

Hello,

As a fellow 130p owner still learning, I found the rigel aline cap to be fine for checking collimation when used alongside the SW collimation instructions, Astrobaby's and Gary Seronik's collimation guides (all on the web).  I did also pick up a 'premium' cheshire second hand to help the process but found that I had play in the focuser on my 130p, even when fully inserted, so I tend to use this as a sanity check to the rigel now to make sure I've not made a gross error when adjusting with the aline.

Gavin

Thanks Gavin. By premium Cheshire is that the red one on flo?

I might just go with the cap so to start with and see how it looks.

Thanks again  everyone for your help, this really is a great forum for help and advice..