Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The "show us your (lickable?) OG" thread

JeremyS

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, John said:

Class glass Matthew :thumbright:

Your 2019 LZOS 130 F/9.24 is #122. My 2006 130 F/9.24 is #020. That's around 8 per year I reckon.

I find it amazing that a scope can be put into production that has such low sales numbers.

A shame more have not been sold as many more astronomers need to experience what can be described as LZOS’ 9th symphony.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2020 at 00:25, F15Rules said:

I think one of the most lickable looking OG's  I ever saw was the TAL 100r early version, just a gorgeous bluish purple hue..

See photo below, showing the newer TAL100 RS lens on the left and the older, bluer TAL100R lens on the right (Neil English photo credit). I know which one I'd rather lick!!🤣😂

..and, having owned a number of both, the earlier bluer coated lens was noticeably better than the RS100 one IMHO too!

Dave

An old photo of my Tal100r objective showing the very blue hue. I'll hopefully post a better photo shortly along with a few others in the collection.

Tal 100r objective 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This might be the smallest one to appear in this thread, but it deserves to be here for one very good reason. The best coatings I have seen on anything, ever. Should that be not seen as if it were not for the small particles of dust, this thing is invisible. 

The Takahashi 1.7x CQ module which turns the FS-60 in the f/10 quadruplet FS-60Q.

C1B9F552-B229-4C69-A84A-0031BE41E688.thumb.jpeg.c17766a3228509e33e613aae083096ff.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

This might be the smallest one to appear in this thread, but it deserves to be here for one very good reason. The best coatings I have seen on anything, ever. Should that be not seen as if it were not for the small particles of dust, this thing is invisible. 

The Takahashi 1.7x CQ module which turns the FS-60 in the f/10 quadruplet FS-60Q.

C1B9F552-B229-4C69-A84A-0031BE41E688.thumb.jpeg.c17766a3228509e33e613aae083096ff.jpeg

You’ve gotta be pulling our leg Matthew: surely there’s no lens in that at all? 🤔

Or is it that those coatings on Tak lenses really are as close to perfection as it’s possible to get?

Between you and me, I made a howler with my Tak Extender CQ 1.7x The other night. I couldn’t see anything through the scope. Then I realised I has left the cover on the lens end when I assembled it 🤫

8 hours ago, JeremyS said:

You’ve gotta be pulling our leg Matthew: surely there’s no lens in that at all? 🤔

Or is it that those coatings on Tak lenses really are as close to perfection as it’s possible to get?

Between you and me, I made a howler with my Tak Extender CQ 1.7x The other night. I couldn’t see anything through the scope. Then I realised I has left the cover on the lens end when I assembled it 🤫

Ha! Snap. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Certainly panic for a second or two until the penny drops.

Edited by DirkSteele
Typo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Ha! Snap. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Certainly panic for a second or two until the penny drops.

Phew, if a sensible chap you you, Matthew, can make this sort of mistake, it makes me feel a lot better! 🙂

The weird thing is that I could see the reflectio of my eye in the Panoptic eyepiece!

On 04/08/2020 at 06:18, DirkSteele said:

I find it amazing that a scope can be put into production that has such low sales numbers.

A shame more have not been sold as many more astronomers need to experience what can be described as LZOS’ 9th symphony.

I agree. My 130mm F/9.2 performs fabulously. Probably the best optics I have ever observed through :icon_biggrin:

Oddly, my most "transparent" objective, photographically anyway, seems to be the ED120:

ed120ercole02.JPG

I don't know what glass / coatings are used on the Nagler 31mm but the field lens of that seems to "disappear" as well.

• Like 2

Just in case anyone wondered this is the 36inch refractor at the Lick Observatory on Mount Hamilton, CA. I was shown around by two professional astronomers who offered me the chance to view through it. Unfortunately the night they offered was the day of my return flight to the UK.

Sorry Jeremy it was too big to lick 🙂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.8380be3fa1fe0091d750f992e42b4ca9.png

From the UK corner....6" triplet made by John Owen circa 1991. None of your fancy  coatings or ED glass...just your plain vanilla crown-flint-crown and it works a treat.  Which reminds me.. I was going to get the blackboard paint out and tart up the cell a bit!

Edited by rl
  • Like 4

On 04/07/2020 at 15:56, Corncrake said:

" Send it back , it has no eyepiece "

", but I ordered a focal reducer "

Caption competition anyone ?

Harlow : "Are you sure we look through this end, what does the * manual say Albert ? "

Cabin fever ?

:):):)

No we'll have to move it again according to this new council lighting street and amenity map!!