SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Blind plate-solving coordinates in N.I.N.A

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to do blind plate-solving in N.I.N.A and then input the resulting coordinates in Stellarium, but I'm getting weird results.

Astrometry.net
When uploading the image to Astrometry.net's website, I get the correct coordinates (202.367, 47.281) 
But when uploading the same image to Astrometry.net using N.I.N.A, I get the wrong coordinates (13.491, 47.281)

ASTAP
When using ASTAP via N.I.N.A, I get similar wrong coordinates (13.491, 47.284)

However, if I go to the Framing assistant and click "Get coordinates from Stellarium" then it gets the correct coordinates without any issue.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? 🥴

Thank you!

Update:

There seems to be something weird when using Decimal values.

If I input in Stellarium the coordinates that I get from N.I.N.A like this: "14h07m55s", "55d10m38s" (instead of "14.132","55.177"), then I seem to get to the correct place in the sky.

Edited by soundwave

9 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Why are you putting in stellarium? Just slew to object and sync to mount.. cut the stellarium faff out of it

I'm using a SkyGuider Pro, so unfortunately I can't, but I do want to use it to make framing easier (and to practice NINA for later on when I'll upgrade to the more serious stuff).
The plan is to aim, solve, check framing in Stellarium, manually move in the RA/DEC, solve again, etc. 

Edited by soundwave

1 minute ago, soundwave said:

I'm using a SkyGuider Pro, so unfortunately I can't, but I do want to use it to make framing easier (and to practice NINA for later on when I'll upgrade to the more serious stuff).
The plan is to aim, solve, check framing in Stellarium, manually move in the RA/DEC, solve again, etc. 

So from what you're saying I get the gist that your stellarium sync is out..

If you frame a target in NINA,  and get the coordinates then they're spot on.. I know this as I use APT and do exactly that,  so I'd look at how to sync stellarium 

5 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

So from what you're saying I get the gist that your stellarium sync is out..

If you frame a target in NINA,  and get the coordinates then they're spot on.. I know this as I use APT and do exactly that,  so I'd look at how to sync stellarium 

It seems that the issue happens only when I input the RA/DEC in decimal values.

When I input them in Hours/Days, then it seems to work correctly, so I'll just do that.

I'm using a script in Stellarium. Maybe that function doesn't work well with decimals. I'll stick with Hours/Days.

core.moveToRaDec("14.132", "55.177"); // does not work correctly

core.moveToRaDec("13h29m28s", "47d17m03s"); // works correctly

From what I know, there is no built-in option in NINA to send coordinates to Stellarium. There's only an option to receive coordinates from Stellarium.

Edited by soundwave

1 minute ago, soundwave said:

It seems that the issue happens only when I input the RA/DEC in decimal values.

When I input them in Hours/Days, then it seems to work correctly, so I'll just do that.

I'm using a script in Stellarium. Maybe that function doesn't work well with decimals. I'll stick with Hours/Days.

core.moveToRaDec("14.132", "55.177"); // does not work correctly

core.moveToRaDec("13h29m28s", "47d17m03s"); // works correctly

That's right as that's the right format, NINA don't give it in decimals

15 hours ago, soundwave said:

Astrometry.net

When uploading the image to Astrometry.net's website, I get the correct coordinates (202.367, 47.281) 
But when uploading the same image to Astrometry.net using N.I.N.A, I get the wrong coordinates (13.491, 47.281)

An RA of 202.367 is in degrees [0..360] while 13.491 is in hours [0..24]

They are the same since 202.367*24/360=13.491

2 hours ago, han59 said:

An RA of 202.367 is in degrees [0..360] while 13.491 is in hours [0..24]

They are the same since 202.367*24/360=13.491

Oh, I understand. Thanks!

I wonder if there's a way to have NINA return the decimal values in degrees instead of hours.