Narrowband

Help/Advice needed SW 130PDS damaged tube.

Hi all.

I've just received my first scope in the post, a Skywatcher 130PDS. Excited and opening/unwrapping carefully, as you do. Get it all out in the open for inspection and there are two dents in the tube. Now, I'm a complete amateur and have no idea if these imperfections with have any impact on the workings of the scope, visually or photographically.

I'm going to email the supplier but should I be looking for a replacement or, if this will be OK with a couple of minor dents, a partial refund.

I've tried to photograph them as best as possible.

Any advice/comments appreciated.

Anthony

20200703_122505.jpg

20200703_121818.jpg

20200703_121801.jpg

20200703_121823.jpg

20200703_121738.jpg

20200703_121715.jpg

20200703_121829.jpg

It should definately be replaced. Not only could there be other damage if you ever wanted to sell it later the damage would put people off and lower the price a lot. You paid for a new scope in perfect condition so that’s  what you should get.

Shouldn’t be any problem getting it replaced though.

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Just out of curiosity what dealer did you buy it from? 🤔

APM-Telescopes in Germany. I can't fault them, they've been great. Sadly, this left the Skywatcher factory looking like this.

Further inspection found another dent under the dovetail. I've emailed the supplier now, see what the response is.

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Ah so ot would have been drop shipped. then. Still APM will make sure it gets sorted for you. 👍🏻

Yeah it was.  They got it on Monday, labelled it and sent it straight out to me. They've been really helpful in the past for me so hopefully it'll get sorted. A bit disappointing but I can't use it at the minute anyway with this rubbish weather. 😂

It probably wouldn't have affected it's optical performance, but you should never have received a brand new scope in that condition!  I'm glad that you're getting a replacement sent out.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, merlin100 said:

It probably wouldn't have affected it's optical performance, but you should never have received a brand new scope in that condition!  I'm glad that you're getting a replacement sent out.

I wasn't sure about it effecting the optical performance which is why I asked. I assume bigger dents would if they go in and obscure the mirror any. This is all new to me though, my first scope. 

At least it won't cost me anything except time. I can wait another week. I've been waiting over a month already to get one of these. 

Strangely, he did say that it was checked over by someone there before it was shipped to me. Maybe they didn't repackage it as good as Skywatcher did originally. The person I'm dealing with is going to personally check the next one before he ships it to me.

Edited by Jamgood